Would this freight depot have any signalling?

Dale

I have a very basic rail served industry with a couple of sidings.  Would it have any form of signalling and if so, where and what type.  Its the late 70's, early 80's and not region specific.

A single line enters the yard where it forks into three sidings, the longest of which has additional points at the far end to make a run around loop.

Xtrtack file attached.

Cheers all.

Troll Bridge Depot.xtc

Not able to open the file, can you post as a jpeg?

Having said that, signalling inside depots would be virtually non-existant except for the exit signal

In which case its easy to assume that any signalling involved is beyond the scenic break :no:

I have attached a .jpeg as requested. This all started off as my test track and has grown a little. The actual track plan flows more than the schematic but it shows the point arrangement at least. The headshunt on the left is the main running line and disappears off stage left into a tunnel to the traverser.

So am i right in suggesting there would be a red/green 2 aspect signal on the left allowing freight trains to leave the private sidings and proceed on the fright line?

D.

post-11004-0-76434400-1358544877_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

If you wanted to put the exit signal on-scene, assuming that there is adequate space to do any shunting without passing it, the options would be either a main colour light signal or a position light ground signal. It would depend on where the next siganl was situated. Assuming that you are going out onto a colour light signalled line the exit signal would probably be a three aspect R/Y/G unless there was a long run up to the next stop signal and an isolated distant when it could be R/G. In a closely signalled area a Position light ground signal may be provided but this went out of fashion in some areas from the 1970s. 

All of the points shown would be hand operated by the shunter, no signals required at these.

The only thing that may possibly be provided is a 'Stop, Await Instructions' board when arriving at the first points, or I have seen a board lettered 'Stop, Check Points Before Proceeding' although neither is essential, more someone's local preference.

Thank you, i appreciate your time in answering my question.  I will include a R/Y/G signal at the furthest extent of the head shunt before entering the tunnel mouth and also the stop sign at the first points.  

What sort of speed restriction would be in place at these sort of yards, 5mph?

D.

Archived