Rebuilt Merchant Navy Tenders

Bibby Line

Would be very pleased to learn if any member can clarify details regarding the tenders allocated to 35019 French Line CGT and

35030 Elder Dempster Lines.

1. 35019 had tender 3128 (type 2) - early pictures (c 1960) show a curved fairing to the tender top, but a later picture (c1965) appears to show it cut back to a right angle, which some were due to damage. Does anyone have any pictures showing the state c1962?

2. 35030 had a 6000g tender, but I dont have a clear picture showing the back of the tender to indicate if this was one of the tenders with the centrally positioned vacuum cylinder covers, or the more common offset cover. I have a late (1967) picture clearly showing the back of the tender on this loco, but unfortunately this is a different 6000g tender attached late in the loco's life.

Hope to hear from you Bulleid experts.

Many thanks.

Eddie

Would be very pleased to learn if any member can clarify details regarding the tenders allocated to 35019 French Line CGT and

35030 Elder Dempster Lines.

1. 35019 had tender 3128 (type 2) - early pictures (c 1960) show a curved fairing to the tender top, but a later picture (c1965) appears to show it cut back to a right angle, which some were due to damage. Does anyone have any pictures showing the state c1962?

2. 35030 had a 6000g tender, but I dont have a clear picture showing the back of the tender to indicate if this was one of the tenders with the centrally positioned vacuum cylinder covers, or the more common offset cover. I have a late (1967) picture clearly showing the back of the tender on this loco, but unfortunately this is a different 6000g tender attached late in the loco's life.

Hope to hear from you Bulleid experts.

Many thanks.

Eddie

Hi Eddie

The very last photo in "The Book of the Merchant Navies" shows the rear of 35030 on 23/06/63 (tender 3348).  Picture is taken from the LH side and the gap between the cover and edge of rear bulkhead of bunker is small - so I would assume it is the offset variety.  It still has the curved front fairing on the bunker at that date.  In "Locomotives in detail - Merchant Navy Class" (Page 72) there is a picture of 35030 in June 1967 (tender 3345) which again has offset cover and curved fairing.

Will see if I can find a picture of 35019 in 1962 later.

Mike

Archived