Coaling stage

Hopefully this is the right area to raise this query, can anyone let me know what is the minimum height above baseboard level for the incline needed to service the Metcalfe coaling stage along with the distance (length ot track) realistically needed to achieve that height in "oo"?

I have the kit built ok but am now at the stage of trying to best position it along with engine shed, water tower, inspection and ash pits within the depot area and turntable locations.

Even better would be also a brief description/layout of all those elements in relation to each other.

Martin

If you know the gradient of the line, expressed as x in y (where x is the vertical measurement and y is the horizontal measurement) then you could just times 50 (x) by y to create the length along the baseboard of the ramp. I wouldn't use anything steeper than 1 in 14. Using the above formula 50 multiplied by 14 is 700mm as a bare minimum for it to look real-ish was the gradient on the Cromford and High Peak Railway. I would suggest using a shallower gradient than this, although it is your model. 

Hope this helps

Rob

This from the Metcalfe site - http://www.metcalfemodels.com/coal-stage click the other view.

The severity of your approach ramp is dependant upon how much run up space you have, how many wagons you want to push up there and what you are pushing them with.

Try various combinations based on what kit you must use, what kit you can use and what limitations you will put up with.

Rob

Edit: - its a nice kit so I may have to find room for one seeing as they are more or less essential structures.

Thanks to both of you for your advice,

checked on the location and I have between 900-1,000 mm clearance for the incline/slope, depends on where it begins from a curve leading to the coaling stage, I need advice on how best to bend/graduate the track from the point where the slope joins the loading level but I will try on the more appropriate pages of RMWeb and leave the good folk on here to their correct topic.

Thanks to both of you for your advice,

checked on the location and I have between 900-1,000 mm clearance for the incline/slope, depends on where it begins from a curve leading to the coaling stage, I need advice on how best to bend/graduate the track from the point where the slope joins the loading level but I will try on the more appropriate pages of RMWeb and leave the good folk on here to their correct topic.

Martin - the best way to start your gradient is to cut a tongue in your baseboard deck. As you will be using a severe gradient, I suggest that the run to the stage is a straight one. In OO, you should allow somewhere around 40mm trackbed width so you need a tongue that is 40mm wide. If you can lift this from the start of your incline to just before the Coaling Stage, a length of 800mm needs to be elevated by 50mm to a point 750mm from the start by adding wedges under the trackbed. The last 50mm should return to level if possible. If you can make the length of the tongue more like 900mm, you should try and get the last 100mm towards level. Eventually, you need a small engine with good grip to propel wagons up the slope - I would be considering an 0-6-0 tank with plenty of weight for adhesion.

Good luck!

Martin - the best way to start your gradient is to cut a tongue in your baseboard deck. As you will be using a severe gradient, I suggest that the run to the stage is a straight one. In OO, you should allow somewhere around 40mm trackbed width so you need a tongue that is 40mm wide. If you can lift this from the start of your incline to just before the Coaling Stage, a length of 800mm needs to be elevated by 50mm to a point 750mm from the start by adding wedges under the trackbed. The last 50mm should return to level if possible. If you can make the length of the tongue more like 900mm, you should try and get the last 100mm towards level. Eventually, you need a small engine with good grip to propel wagons up the slope - I would be considering an 0-6-0 tank with plenty of weight for adhesion.

Good luck!

Thanks Gruffalo for that,

When you say a "tongue" are you meaning to cut the actual base board and raise that section to create the incline track bed? I get the bit about the 40mm track bed and returning to the horizontal plane 50-100mm before the entrance to the coaling stage but my overall incline length (without beginning it in a curve) will be determined by how many full wagons I need to allow for at the back of the coaling stage in order that it looks reasonably workable, the less wagons stored there will free up more space for a longer run of track to form the actual incline itself.

The other query really is how to return the inclined track to the horizontal plane at the top end of the incline (the entrance to the coa;ing stage), do you lay separate track pieces or bend the inclined track to horizontal?

Sorry if I am not explaining myself too clearly on this.

Martin

Martin

My experience of inclined trackwork indicates that it is best to avoid separate track pieces as you will get an angle at the rail joint(s). Far better if you can to use a length of track over the transition, that way you get a radiused bend. Obviously within the limits of your available space the larger this radius can be the better chance of not lifting a wheel-set off rails.

Same goes for the underlying track board - as Gruff says cut a tongue and manipulate that across the whole transition, else make any necessary join on the flat.

Rob

Many thanks Rob,

Question now seems to be trying to manufacture as much space as possible for the incline, have to get the thinking cap on and come up with the largest run of track possible, if possible I really would like the coaling to be a working operation rather than just a scenic feature.

Martin

Archived