Blog- bmthtrains' N gauge projects - Thinking about OO - but what could I achieve?

RSS Fetcher

I will model in N gauge for life - it the ideal scale for my principle interest, that is modelling realistic urban scenes, but recently I've been thinking more about having a go in OO.

What is tempting me to play with the big trains? Well the catalyst is the Bachmann VEP, and the forthcoming CEP from Honrby. The detail on the Bachmann model is so impressive, and living in a third rail area, its something I've long been tempted to model. This is a new addition to my modelling interests - the models themselves becoming the focus.

N is perfect for modelling modern image in my view as you can get full length trains in a reasonable space, and a layout can have more than just track on it - you can model the landscape around the railway as well. For me, even with the staggering improvements in the detail in N gauge locos over the past few years, its never been about the rivets for me - if it looks like the right train running through the landscape, thats what I want.

I am now finding myself being attracted to models themselves, as objects of manufactured beauty to admire, if you will - the VEP in particular. This means I'm tempted to have a go at building a small layout in OO that would allow me to build up a small collection of models that I admire.

But what could I achieve?

There are several things drawing me to OO:

1. Larger scale models that are works of art to be appreciated

2. The challenge of modelling in a different scale

3. OO better suiting a small terminus or depot layout than N (just as to me N better suits main lines!)

4. The possibility of toying with DCC sound

(That last point is very exciting actually, the idea of playing with a lovely model that chugs up and down!)

Equally, however, I have concerns:

1. OO is HUGE compared to N, so your modelling space is tiny in comparison

2. Would I be able to fit in or even work to such a small space?

3. DCC sound is hideously expensive!

4. Third rail EMUS are about 4 feet long in OO - so how can I fit a decent layout in that take them?

What I would like to do is stick a toe in the water and get a model that will hopfeully convince me to take the plunge, but where to start?

I'd love a DCC sound loco, but to spend ??200 to test the waters is a bit mad, and could I really get a small layout that would take 4 car units in the space I have, and still be pleased with the outcome?

For me, there are a huge number of compromises modelling in OO rather than N - the greatest being the constriction of space ad how it impacts on the scenic scope of the layout. I would need something I can shunt about on - perhaps an OO version of my 4 day layout? - and nothing too vast, as this would be an occasional venture into OO purely to collect the models that really appeal (I will continue to build huge swathes of urban Britain in N alongside!)

If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions for a first step, I'd be very appreciative of your views!

David

View the full article

Archived