Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Heljan class 20 lighting

Dmudriver

Hi all

I wonder if anyone can offer some advice, please?  I've wired the motors to the Zimo chip on the 20 and they and the sound work fine.

However, I cannot for the life of me get the lights to work with the chip.  All of the LEDs work and I've fitted 1K0 resistors to each one - I've tried them out on DC power.  I've tried various wiring combinations with no success.  I do get the white lights at one end and the reds at the other working, but that's all.

I've found a post by MiDAS in 2010 about wiring to an esu 3.5 decoder, but the lighting wires on this loco are different colours to those he refers to.

On this loco the lights at one end are red & black wires together and purple & blue wires together and it's the same at the other.  I can't find anything anywhere to indicate which are which!!!  I've put the resistors on the black and purple wires and these are fastened into the v+ terminal.  I suspect one of those colours is the wrong one, but I've not a clue which!!

Has anyone any experience or ideas, please?    ......please?    I'm afraid my brain is rather fuddled now!!!  It's not the chip as I've changed the wires from the lights that work from Lr to Lf and they work in both.   

With thanks in advance.

Rod

Hi all.

This has been bugging me all evening and, as there was nothing on TV, I thought I'd have another go before "Match of the Day"!!

I've sorted it!!  Using a dc power source I wired up each pair of wires to see which was positive and which negative.  I got the lights working in pairs (red one end and white the other) so I wired them to the chip and tested it on my DCC track.  Bingo!!

So, for those who might have the same problem in the future, here's the way it's wired:

Reds and purples from both ends into v+;

Blacks from both ends into Lf;

Blues from both ends into Lr.

The lad whose loco it is wants the lights done as "out of the box", maybe later we'll put the red lights onto another function to make them separately switchable.

Niow I've got to sort out the erratic running but I've had that before with a 37, so I'll check those settings first.

Rod

• 2 weeks later...

Hi BrushType4.

Sorry I've been a while responding: no real problem with the model - just life getting in the way of railway modelling!!!

I've got the running much better than it was.  These are the CV values I've used - the original ones are in square brackets.  CV 2 = 2 [1]; CV3 = 40 [15]; CV 4 = 30 [15]; CV 5 = 1 [1]; CV 6 = 1 [1]; CV 9 = 99 [0]; CV 55 = 0 [150]; CV56 = 150 [55]; CV 57 = 150 [100]; CV 58 = 110 [255]; CV 112 = 32 [0].

CVs 113, 121,122 and 123 have all been mentioned in previous correspondence I've had but they are all unchanged at =0.

I'm afraid I can't easily justify the values I've used:  I had problems with a Heljan 37 and a Zimo chip some time ago and got advice on RMweb and I used the notes I'd kept from that exercise. I'll check shortly and see if I can find the link to the thread in case it's of use to you.

Hope this is helpful.

Rod

EDIT: to add link

Here is the link to the previous thread I was referring to: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42939-zimo-mx695ks-decoder-in-Heljan-0-gauge-loco/   I found it quicker than I thought I would!!!  Hope this too is useful.

Rod

Archived