A few questions...

Tref67

Gentlefolk,

I wonder if you can help me... Firstly I have one of my layouts up and running for the first time in a couple of years, so time to make some progress... I have a Lenz LS150 accessory decoder which I screwed to the board today, but am wondering, firstly, can I use it to power up a Kadee electro magnet? Since it is also just a small Inglenook shunting plank, so only one engine running (admittedly with sound) can I use the track supply to feed the LS150 and then onto the Kadee uncoupling magnet?

I also have a Hex Frog Juicer on another layout... however... I have a problem with the wiring... in a rather complex piece of pointwork I have made a wrong connection somewhere - The train goes so far and stops showing up as a short... the problem is recognising which piece of rail any given dropper is connected to. Without the Hex Frog Juicer, no problem I could use a multi-meter, measure the resistance and solve the problem, but will I potentially damage the Hex Frog Juicer by so doing?

Any assistance most appreciated,

many thanks,

Tref.

LS150 must be powered by separate AC power supply.

Lenz say max 16vAc but I have been powering mine with 18V ac to op Peco PL10 point motors for many yrs with no problems.

The pulse duration can be set from 1 second to 10 seconds the turns off.

As to op an electromagnet uncoupling devise.  I don't really know, and also does the kadee uncoupler op on Ac or DC.

If DC you will need to fit a diode to the terminals that op the uncoupler.

cheers

Ian

OK, thanks... I guess the next question has to be whether I can use the output of the same transformer that feeds my LZV100/LH100 - I think it is a TR150 Transformer - so that is 15vac I believe out?

Many thanks again,

Tref.

A good rule of thumb is, don't use the same transforma that powers the DCC system to power other things on layout, specially when powering accessory decoders.

Every time accessory decoder is activated it robs power from DCC systenm and in turn trains.

Also, I doubt 15V would be enough to allow LS150 to opperate at it's best.

Cheers

Ian

Many thanks...

See in this case since I have only two points, one engine, and one uncoupling magnet, and only the uncoupling magnet and loco can be used at the same time, I figured it wouldn't be too much... with hindsight, perhaps I should have used two loco decoders for the points given they are Fulgarex ones - probably cheaper than the accessory decoder - and I'm just wondering if I could have done the same with the uncoupling magnet... The box of bits for control, transformers, handset, looms etc, is getting to be bigger than the layout (if it were N Gauge, it would be!)

Archived