DOUBLE PANTILES

Followers of my thread have probably seen some of this but I thought that by doing this post it would be useful for anyone using the search function to find it and hopefully find it of some use.

On my first building I used Wills pantiles but was never completely happy with the result compared to the real thing, it bothered me so much that I had to make some that matched what I could see in the photographs. It took a few failed attempts at first and though some looked OK they still weren't quite right, I wanted that individual, slightly uneven look that a tiled roof has, I got there in the end with plastic strip.

So for my carriage shed I used double pantiles made over quite a long period, it does take a lot of patience but I like to try and make as much as possible myself if I can.

This is how I did it and how it looks

I started off with a sheet of plastic 0.25mm and stuck some 1mm half round strip to it with 1mm spacing, each end was secured after measuring against a rule before laying a longer rule between the two fixed points and then securing it with Mekpak while holding it against the straight edge. It is worth moving the rule lengthways after a couple of seconds to ensure it has not glued itself to the sheet and avoiding pulling the strip out of line.

post-13569-0-80368700-1358891859_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-41851100-1358890168_thumb.jpg

Once I have enough strips on to make the required quantity I give it a quick coat of paint as I find it easier to see to cut under an artificial light than the bright white of the plastic.

post-13569-0-93819800-1358890376_thumb.jpg

When it comes to the cutting I find it best to lay a rule or masking tape across the ends to prevent any strip that has not welded itself fully to the sheet 'pinging' away, believe me they go a heck of a long way usually never to be found again. This shows such a piece that tried to escape, the painting also helps relocation when gluing back.

post-13569-0-45542700-1358890742_thumb.jpg

The tiles can then be cut into singles or strips depending on how you wish to fix them.

post-13569-0-59297600-1358890895_thumb.jpg

The first row of tiles at the bottom of the roof need to be shaped and this is done by filing away the plastic under the strip until it matches the curve on the top.

post-13569-0-85169500-1358891114_thumb.jpg

The subsequent layers do not need this as they will sit behind the previous row and part of the ends will be concealed, this are fitted with the bottom edge raised (I use 0.25mm strip) to lift it slightly above the lower tile.

post-13569-0-50721200-1358891413_thumb.jpg

A shot of the tiled roof just waiting final cleaning up and painting, the odd white one is the replacement for one of the ones that 'pinged' away into the carpet. The filed bottom row is more apparent here and once painted the upper ones will blend in nicely.

post-13569-0-08264700-1358892717_thumb.jpg

On future models I may try rod instead of half round as it reduces the cost considerably and as the plastic melts a bit I don't think it will be an issue.

I hope that someone finds this of use in the future.

Right time for me to finish tiling, there is still a 320x40 side to cover.

Jim

Archived