Improving the Hornby APT (1980s version)

Tell me about it...

You get an eBayer sell it for an overly priced like you say, then all other APT owners think, I'll sell mine now and then proceed to do a buy it now for double the overly priced eBayer APT. Why... I ask myself.

Jamie

Tell me about it...

You get an eBayer sell it for an overly priced like you say, then all other APT owners think, I'll sell mine now and then proceed to do a buy it now for double the overly priced eBayer APT. Why... I ask myself.

It's banjaxed the plan to experiment with a P4 APT. I'll still buy the etches for old times' sake if and when they are produced - they'll look good in a picture frame on the wall, I'm sure - but the Hornby start point is now borderline unaffordable.

It's banjaxed the plan to experiment with a P4 APT. I'll still buy the etches for old times' sake if and when they are produced - they'll look good in a picture frame on the wall, I'm sure - but the Hornby start point is now borderline unaffordable.

I'm currently building two trailers using my original etches, these will be the last from this design. Version 5(!) will have a removable roof to allow lighting and seating to be installed easier. Should be ready before the dawning of the next ice age.

Cheers

Shane

• Like 4

To Shane

Did I meet you at Telford International Arena in 2014/15, it was a good day out, shame its not happened again since.

You had all the brass APT kit making...was it...Erm....!, if I remember rightly, and the APT in its correct colours, which was so different from the Hornby version side by side...

Jamie

Hi Shane

Was it really... noooo...! I spoke to Rail Exclusive and they said they wasn't having another one when I ask them, when I last spoke to Jamie Lee at Rail Exclusive, they put on a good show I thought, so do you know if they will be putting it on again next year... so I can put it in my Diary as a must go to show.

Hope you are keep well to Shane! That's why I put 14/15 I thought it was 2015 lol

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

What are your thoughts on a P4 APT-P Horsetan? I will be doing mine in P4 but the bogies will need a redesign so it will stay on the track!

It's something I'd want to do purely as a bit of a fun experiment. The bogies would need some form of springing for P4 anyway.

I wasn't quite clear on whether your etch project relied completely on the Hornby shells to provide the core structure, or whether you were planning to draw out the entire train as an etch. If it's the former, i.e. builders need the Hornby APT as a basis, then rocketing eBay values make it borderline unaffordable for me.

Edited by Horsetan

Hi Shane

Was it really... noooo...! I spoke to Rail Exclusive and they said they wasn't having another one when I ask them, when I last spoke to Jamie Lee at Rail Exclusive, they put on a good show I thought, so do you know if they will be putting it on again next year... so I can put it in my Diary as a must go to show.

Hope you are keep well to Shane! That's why I put 14/15 I thought it was 2015 lol

Jamie

Si Bendall has said that Rail Express won't be putting on another show in the near future. Attendance wasn't high enough to make it financially viable. Which is a shame as it was a good show. Still theses always DEMU's Showcase event in June each year.

Cheers

Shane

It's something I'd want to do purely as a bit of a fun experiment. The bogies would need some form of springing for P4 anyway.

I wasn't quite clear on whether your etch project relied completely on the Hornby shells to provide the core structure, or whether you were planning to draw out the entire train as an etch. If it's the former, i.e. builders need the Hornby APT as a basis, then rocketing eBay values make it borderline unaffordable for me.

What I'm working on does not rely on the use of any Hornby parts. It's all resin and etched metal. However the etches can also be used to overlay Hornby shells if required.

Cheers

Shane

Really?

Here are five recently sold sets all under £75..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-APT-P-5-car-set-City-of-Derby-370-002-/311685968515?hash=item4891ee7283:g:JGMAAOSwawpXtg5n

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Hornby-APT-Advanced-Passenger-Train-/232086916777?hash=item3609754ea9:g:3coAAOSwYIxX3qZJ

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-OO-Gauge-APT-Advanced-Passenger-Train-/122139678835?hash=item1c70179873:g:-yYAAOSw8gVX3sm8

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-INTER-CITY-APT-/162153272444?hash=item25c116947c:g:3n4AAOSw-YVXnKRV

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-APT-5-Car-set-/142141314388?hash=item2118485554:g:C~cAAOSwzaJX94Ub

The last one is missing a bogie but with this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-L5314-APT-1-2-BOGIE-2-NO-WHEELS-ADVANCED-PASSENGER-TRAIN-OO-GAUGE-/401201656003?hash=item5d697b70c3:g:4UcAAOSwPCVX9iRW

still brings the total under £70, and a half bogie left spare!

Edited by Titan

• 4 months later...

If anyone is in the Midlands area tomorrow, come along to the Leamington and Warwick model show, where I will be on the DEMU stand with a couple of new design APT trailers.......

Cheers

Shane

If anyone is in the Midlands area tomorrow, come along to the Leamington and Warwick model show, where I will be on the DEMU stand with a couple of new design APT trailers.......

Cheers

Shane

And Kit Spackman (aka Mr_Tilt) will be on the stand today to talk about anything APT, or track eating cats! he'll have his APT-E with him, and Natalie will have her APT-P.

• 6 months later...

I stopped messing about with resin castings and decided to go full 3D-printed. When I first started on this project, I didn't have the AutoCAD skills and tried to use my printer's laser scanner, to no avail. But now I do, and I get to show off this:

kYVt8X4.jpg

Top one's printed, bottom one is made of original Hornby parts. I'm going to keep adjusting the window strakes to get them to fit just right, but other than that they seem fine. You may notice seating inside. The seating actually looks really good, and I'm proud of it.

The shell itself is not as detailed as the original Hornby model due to the constraints of my printer. But I may attempt to add the side hatches at a later date to see if that can work. But considering that a standard detail centre coach would cost £40 [plus a risky cut-and-shut, I think this is a good contender. I can imagine selling these for just £10.

I haven't made a 3D printed bogey yet, but I plan to soon. The hard part will be planning out how to print off such a complex shape without using supports that would affect the surfaces.

I hope Wolf27 doesn't see this as a threat, theirs' are really high quality while mine is just supposed to be a cheap alternative to cutting increasingly limited numbers of coaches apart.

Edited by RedDwarfIV
  • Like 2

Qw5dDg8.jpg

I mentioned the seating. Bottom left is my resin casting attempt. Notice the melted look and holes where bubbles were. Centre is original 2nd class seating. Top is 1st class seating. The original seats are, well, all one colour. These seats being white means I can paint them individually if I want to.

They are much cleaner than the resin casting and don't have the cut-up and slightly mismatched look of the original seating.

• Like 1

Life's too short to see this as any threat! I'm finalising my cad drawings for the etched sides, which I hope to have at Scaleforum in a few weeks time. I'm do see a potential in using a 3D print as a basis for the etches to fit upon. I believe there is a market for both.

Cheers

Shane

• Like 1

Life's too short to see this as any threat! I'm finalising my cad drawings for the etched sides, which I hope to have at Scaleforum in a few weeks time. I'm do see a potential in using a 3D print as a basis for the etches to fit upon. I believe there is a market for both.

Cheers

Shane

There is also the side that for those of us crap at forming angles and bends the 3D prints could be ideal for assisting in creating those!

iewTBIk.png

Tried printing endcaps as one part, but it just made the flat part look awful. This should be less difficult for the printer to manage.

Unfortunately I am now out of ABS filement. I've got another 1KG roll in the post, but it may be a few days before I can print off more parts. I'm not inclined to mess around with the PLA roll I have, in my experience its an awful material. Nothing made of it would stick to my ABS parts and I'd have to change my print settings. Not worth it.

I'm going to draw up the bogie in AutoCAD, and try painting the parts I have.

• Like 1