Delaney's Lime Works - Horton

ianwales

Hi all

Been looking at a trackplan of Horton in Ribblesdale which shows a branch leading off to Delaney's lime works, does anyone know

1. Did this branch lead into the lime works or to exchange sidings?

2. How big and area (no of sidings)was the exchange/complex sidings?

3. Did Delaneys have their own locos or was the works shunted by BR locos?

Any help would be appreciated

Ian

So I guess the info I sent you didn't have what you needed. I thought it didn't, but wondered if I was missing something.

Is there nothing online about the place, Ian?

Jeff

Hi Jeff

The plan was fine, but, as you said didn't show the works and I'm just wondering how extensive(trackwise) and intensive(trainwise) Delaneys sidings were, just wondering if Horton was much busier than other S&C locations.

Ian

From the photos i have seen & the videos i own of the S&C with regards to the shunting of the lime works i would say it was done by BR locos. Marsden rail do a brilliant dvd on the S&C & it shows a 4F shunting the yard. I've also seen photos of a Standard 4 shunting the yard & even a Jubilee.

Simon

• 1 year later...

Just to expand on this further, does anyone have a trackplan of either Delaneys lime works, or the quarry at Merrygill as either would have looked in the 1970s? All ive found is a relatively narrow photograph of the former, and some Britain from above photos from the 1920s., and I daresay the layout changed somewhat in the following 50 years! As for Merrygill, ive found nothing at all, other than some photos of a run around siding near the old signal box.

There is a photograph of a saddle tank shunting Delaneys in a photograph ive got, not entirely clear when but it presumably was prewar.

Archived