DMU Controls

New Haven Neil

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, a question for those with knowledge of DMU's please!

As a one time frequent user of DMU's in the 70's (101's, mostly) to get me to Newcastle to trainspot, I always wondered what one particular item was for.

When the driver got into the cab, he would put the 'key' into the forward/reverse slot, drop in the brake handle, and then lean over to the right hand side of the cab, and push over a lever/valve or something under the unused 'secondman's' seat just in front of the window between the cab and the passenger seating.  What was this valve/lever please?  Something to do with the AWS??

Thanks for your input.

Neil

Hi all, a question for those with knowledge of DMU's please!

As a one time frequent user of DMU's in the 70's (101's, mostly) to get me to Newcastle to trainspot, I always wondered what one particular item was for.

When the driver got into the cab, he would put the 'key' into the forward/reverse slot, drop in the brake handle, and then lean over to the right hand side of the cab, and push over a lever/valve or something under the unused 'secondman's' seat just in front of the window between the cab and the passenger seating.  What was this valve/lever please?  Something to do with the AWS??

Thanks for your input.

Neil

Can't answer your question directly Neil, but even if this doesn't, they're a good 'watch' anyway.

Andy

Thanks Boris.  Would this not be used if operating in a non AWS area?

Cheers

Neil

I can't speak for individual drivers, but as far as I am aware it was just one of the things you did when you changed ends was to put the AWS in.  With most journeys, especially latterly, you probably eventually end up somewhere that had AWS. 

• RMweb Premium

Cheers - my memories are from the 70's...there would have been more non AWS then, but certainly not on my journey!  Having mulled it over all afternoon I recall the AWS horn sounds as the valve is opened, and the driver has to press the AWS button to cancel.  So I knew really, I had just forgotten I knew!  It's my age.

Thanks again.

Neil

Would this not be used if operating in a non AWS area?

Cheers

Neil

The AWS would always have to be switched on in the cab you are driving from, regardless of wether the line was equipped AWS or not. If you did not switch it in in a driving cab you would not be able able to move the train, i'm not 100% sure in a dmu but certainly in a loco you could not get any traction power untill it was switched on in that cab. I think that in a dmu you would not be able to obtain a brake release untill it was switched in, but you could still rev the engines. I've never tried it with the dmu's at shackerstone because the AWS is isolated on them, as its not needed an a preserved railway.

The one thing you had to watch with the AWS on a DMU was that it didn't matter which cab it was activated you were able to release the brake if you switched in at the other end. I once came a cropper working a job that involved shunting a DMU from Abbey Foregate sdgs into one of the Bay platforms at Shrewsbury then working it down to Hereford. I was in a hurry and forgot to switch out the AWS when driving into the bay and then changed ends and switched in and released the brake, because I could release the brake I didn't think to switch in the AWS, if I had I wouldn't have been able to cancel it reminding me I'd left it in in the back cab. Managed to get as far as Shelwick Jcn before being brought to a grinding halt. Completely baffled I wondered back to the rear cab to find the AWS horn blaring away having been activated by the permanent magnet associated with the 40mph permanent restriction warning board just north of Hereford. Sheepishly switched it out and returned to the front cab and switched in the AWS there and slinked into Hereford. This could be a useful feature when shunting a DMU and you had to change ends often. You just had to remember which cab you had switched the AWS in before setting of on a run. As with all traction units that had it fitted, AWS had to be switched in irrespective as to wether the line you were travelling over was provided with it or not.

Paul J

Archived