If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hi From an expat in Canada

BrianB

In the last few weeks the dormant rail modelling gene seems to have activated in me and ive found myself searching the web in search of information. Stumbled upon this great forum when I found pictures of the Birmingham newstreet work one guy here is doing.

I have lived in Canada for 7 years, ive always liked railways,never been hooked on them but certainly fond. loved visits as a kid to Bressingham, or the Romney dimchruch railway.... Or watching workings going on past the end of my road (Lived on the branchline from Colchester to Clacton) I got a ride in a er I think a type 37 Diesel when I was young but anyway... the bug is starting to bite. But all local railway magazines I buy here are full of North American stuff, and well...it might as well be on the moon for the warmth and feeling it inspires in me.....

Then I find this site and see photos of UK locos and layouts and buildings and it triggers something... and then ifind im in a world of HO here... and im going to be in OO land to get the rolling stock that seems right to me! and then I found video of UK DCC sound enabled stuff, and oh my.... it a wonderful but totally confusing world!

So am I crazy.... how many others do this outside the UK? I know part of me says it would be much easier to go with North American stuff as its easier to get hold of here...and probably cheaper... but somehwere inside I want to model what inspires feeling of my childhood....

• RMweb Premium

Hi Brian.

The first place you should go is http://home.ca.inter.net/~brmna/index.html The British Railway Modellers of North America. I know we have local groups in Vancouver and Victoria and I think there are modellers in Nanaimo.

Check out the meeting lists and also the list of supplier-members. Buying in Canada will save you a few hassles with customs.

Lots of us model UK in Canada. We have a big show (the Great British Train Show) every 2 years just outside Toronto. Modelling British is a lot easier than when I started and all you could get was Hornby Dublo and Tri-Ang from Eaton's and Simpson's.

Thanks for the info. I had actually found that site, but sadly the BC toplink site seems no more, and im waiting on hearing back from the Victoria group... the closest model shop to me is over 3 hours round trip. So im guessing much of my purchase will be via the web....

Right now its a lot fo reading and a lot patience..... im trying to get my head around DCC (being a software developer digital is good :rolleyes:), so for now im going to lurk here :) and be inspired!!

Archived