009 loco shed

tractionman

• RMweb Gold

hi folks,

I bought a Wills chapel (SS70) – one of these: http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=SS70

It was intended to be built as a chapel for a 009 project I am (meant to be) working on...

However, I thought it might make a nice little loco shed, and in fact with a few wooden coffee stirrers (for the doors, roof trusses and timber foundations!) I found it quite easy to convert. I thought grey paint and a bit of weathering would give it the right sort of corrugated iron look.

All I need now is a layout to put it on! :scratchhead:

cheers,

Keith

Some pictures here:

post-10919-0-31083400-1359409373.jpg

post-10919-0-46526500-1359409424.jpg

Looks good. I've seen it done a few times before, but it does make a nice shed!

A brick plinth would be more likely than wood, and a roof ventilator or chimney would be a good idea for raising steam. But don't let that stop you telling us more about the layout!

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for your replies - I've got some brick sheets so maybe I'll give the shed a brick plinth, which would also help raise it up a bit as I feel the headroom is a bit low! Good idea about the ventilator, I'll give that some thought and see if I can scratch-build something to go on the roof.

The loco by the way was a present for myself bought in 1981 from a long-defunct model shop in Coventry - it was £14.50! A lot of cash for a 14 year old in those days. It's never been a great runner alas, and one day I hope to find it a companion (and British outline). As well as build a layout to run them on! I have the rolling stock but that's it at the mo.

I bought materials for the baseboard a while back and have built it and painted it ready for track laying, but I keep dithering about whether to use it for a 5.5mm project (3-foot gauge), a Gn15 layout, or good old 009 roundy-roundy - I just seem to end up buying bits for all three and dabbling. At the moment, however, having ordered some 5.5mm scale figures from Malcolm Savage, that's the leader. If I make a hash of painting the figures though, it'll be time for another rethink!

all the best,

Keith

• 1 month later...

Archived