first go at ballasting/weathering

hi,

As some of you who have seen my previous posts may know I am very new to this hobby. I have built a small test track to learn the basics of wiring/track building etc. prior to building a small TMD layout.

Now that I have the electronics working Ive had a go at weathering/ballasting a grimy tmdtrack

all comments and helpful advice is much appreciated!

thanks

john

IMG_0110_zps5aecbfc2.jpg     

IMG_0112_zpsb7d0804f.jpg

IMG_0114_zpsbeabcb42.jpg

hi, thanks.

after ballasting and weathering i used a mixture of watered-down tamiya semi gloss black, gun metal and an acrylic gloss.

I put it on with a small pipette.

I then put a little bit more gloss on the sleepers for a bit of a sheen.

cheers, john

• RMweb Gold

Well for a first go that looks very impressive, looks as if you have been doing it for years. I can just imagine a track worker not being able to keep his feet on those slippery sleepers. Keep up the good work.

• 4 weeks later...

I can just imagine a track worker not being able to keep his feet on those slippery sleepers.

Which is why they are instructed to walk on the ballast :D

To the OP:

The best bit of advice I would offer is to build a small test track to try out your method...but you've already done that :sungum:

Unless you are building a yard (& what you have posted looks great for this), I expect you will want to vary the finish. You've got the test track so make use of it. Main lines tend to go brown, starting with the 4'. I have found the best source for this is the overhead shots on BBC2's Great British Railway Journeys.

Doesn't the sleeper spacing make a big difference? You've done that already though.

I had always used PVA to fix my ballast, but I tried Copydex for my current layout & found many advantages with it.

As Pete suggests you may want to use a bit more variety on a larger layout.

But for a bit of track where locos just sit, and drip oil, that looks very nice,

have a look at Flickr 'British Railways Engine Sheds 1948 to 1994' for inspriration

cheers

Archived