corrour (west highland) signal box question

peak experience

hi all,

i'm modelling corrour station on the west highland. after studying a number of photographs it is apparent that at some stage the signal box exterior was finished in red brick to be replaced at some point by, possibly, a concrete render or breeze blocks. would any of you guys know in what year this change took place? also, the signalmans' house displays the concrete render/breeze block facade in all the photos i've seen even those where the box is finished in brick. could anybody tell me, was the signalmans' house originally, when built, finished in the red brick or with the concrete/breeze blocks? any links to photos of corrour in the 1970s and before this would be greatly appreciated. i've not had much success locating photos from the 50s or 60s. cheers all. PE

PE,

There are numerous Corrour images on the web if you google but the nearly all are from the late 70's and 80's. The 1985 picture linked to above shows the box and the front section in brick but the long narrow section to the rear of the box was already rendered by this time. There is a good 1979 image in the Canmore Collection looking in the direction you require which confirms the rear portion was rendered by this time.

Later images show the entire structure rendered so I think it would be safe to assume that the entire structure was originally brick and sections of it have been rendered over time to increase the weathering.

This 1956 image from flickr is looking in the right direction but unfortunately the original platform shelter is obscuring the signal box:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/borninyork/4012079304/

I seem to recall that the David Fereday Glenn book Last Days of Steam in the Scottish Highlands

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Days-Steam-Scottish-Highlands/dp/0862998093/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360245520&sr=1-1

and the Stenlake Publishing book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Argyll-Highlands-Railways-Gordon-Stansfield/dp/1840332530/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360245598&sr=1-1

both have views from the 60's or earlier looking in the direction you require but I am only going on my recollection from library copies so perhaps someone could confirm.

Regards,

Stewart

hi stewart/eddie et al; indeed photos of corrour pre 1970 are very difficult to find. i've not come across a single one showing 'the house' portion in original brick so maybe it never was? i really wish i could find a definative answer. it's integral to the date of my layout. anymore help would be greatly appreciated. PE

PE,

There are numerous Corrour images on the web if you google but the nearly all are from the late 70's and 80's. The 1985 picture linked to above shows the box and the front section in brick but the long narrow section to the rear of the box was already rendered by this time. There is a good 1979 image in the Canmore Collection looking in the direction you require which confirms the rear portion was rendered by this time.

Later images show the entire structure rendered so I think it would be safe to assume that the entire structure was originally brick and sections of it have been rendered over time to increase the weathering.

This 1956 image from flickr is looking in the right direction but unfortunately the original platform shelter is obscuring the signal box:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/borninyork/4012079304/

I seem to recall that the David Fereday Glenn book Last Days of Steam in the Scottish Highlands

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Days-Steam-Scottish-Highlands/dp/0862998093/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360245520&sr=1-1

and the Stenlake Publishing book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Argyll-Highlands-Railways-Gordon-Stansfield/dp/1840332530/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360245598&sr=1-1

both have views from the 60's or earlier looking in the direction you require but I am only going on my recollection from library copies so perhaps someone could confirm.

Regards,

Stewart

The View of Corrour in the Argyll and the Highlands' Lost Railways is a good Old photograph of the station but it is from the north and does not give a good view of the box and cottage.

eddie

PE,

IMHO the key features which would fix a model of Corrour in a time frame would be:-

1. The footbridge - I seem to recall that the image in the Stenlake book is a "period' one with the station staff on the platform either NBR or early LNER with a timber footbridge and the original platform shelter (still visible in the 1956 shot linked to above). By the 1956 shot we can see the metal footbridge which appears in pictures until it was removed in the late 80's (not sure of the exact date?) and moved to Rannoch.

2. The original platform shelter - still there in the 1956 shot but I am not sure when it was demolished. It is not evident in any photos from the late 70's onwards. There is a great shot of the platform/signal box in the Canmore collection which shows a portaloo crica 1979? There is now a new timber shelter.

3. The surface man's cottage - there was a discussion on the Yahoo Scottish Modellers group recently about the original surface man's cottage which I believe lasted well into the 1970's. The original was more in keeping with those at Bridge of Orchy and Rannoch. There was some suggestion on the Yahoo group that there may be a drawing of the original. The "Swedish" house appears in photos from the late 70's yo the early 90's. I am not sure of the exact dates when it appeared or when it was demolished.

As something of a Corrour fan myself I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Regards,

Stewart.

Firstly I can't help in answering your actual question, but many years ago some members of the Model Railway Club I'm a member of built a model of Corrour. As part of this project a visit was made to Corrour and the signal box was measured up and sketches / drawings made up. I still have copies of them if they'd be of any help. They would [iIRC] represent the building as it appeared in the 1980s. 

Jeremy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 years later...
On 08/02/2013 at 13:02, JeremyC said:

Firstly I can't help in answering your actual question, but many years ago some members of the Model Railway Club I'm a member of built a model of Corrour. As part of this project a visit was made to Corrour and the signal box was measured up and sketches / drawings made up. I still have copies of them if they'd be of any help. They would [iIRC] represent the building as it appeared in the 1980s. 

Jeremy

Hello Jeremy, do you still have these drawings? I understand that the top of the box was the same as Fort William Station, Glen Douglas and Fort William Junction. Many thanks in advance Tom