Quernaby Junction

CoBo

Okay.... I'm going to have a go at building my own trackwork...

Having ripped up the scenic section of my layout, and following considerable encouragement from other members of the forum, I've now decided to take the plunge into designing and building a new section including hand-built trackwork. As my off scene fiddle yard area (which I'm quite happy with) is made up of Tillig & Peco 00 code 83, I've opted to go 00-SF code 75 bullhead rail soldered on copper clad 1.06mm sleepers for the new scenic section. I will obviously have to create/manufacture connecting pieces for the transition from code 83 to 75.

This section of the layout is 10' x 6' 6" max, and was of course drawn with the invaluable help of TEMPLOT.

2626_040729_010000000.png

The concept is a single line branch junction, steam with a few diesels using 3 coach trains. Due to cutbacks, part of the line is now disused and the station forms a terminus with run round facility. The other main line is predominantly freight with the occasional through passenger (its actually a continuous run). When the line was fully operational, being about half way along the branch, it provided limited loco facilities for engine changes - which still survive.

The only fixed items at the moment are A and B being entries onto the scenic board, and the fiddle yard storage boards.The spur at the main platform road goes through the back scene for about 8" allowing tender engines room to clear the run round point, which could be moved further to the right to allow longer trains into the platform. Power is DCC (NCE Powerhouse pro 5amp), switchable to DC for running in etc.

For my first stab at track building my intention is to start with this;-

2626_040742_210000000.png

a B-6 turnout on the disused main line spur at the end of the platform.

Is this a suitable place to start?

Any/all comments welcome on my efforts so far. Am I heading in the right direction?

Mike

ps. For starters, I've ordered a full set of 00-SF gauges from Brian Tulley and a small quantity of nickel silver 75 bullhead rail and copper clad sleepers from C&L to get me started.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Looking good. thumb_smiley.gif

Have you tried a B-7 instead of the B-6? B-6s are popular in models, but in truth a somewhat unbalanced size combination and not common on the prototype. A B-7 won't take up much more room, and give a much easier radius into the loop.

regards,

Martin.

Archived