RMweb

Dapol limited edition terrier help

Im looking to add to my collection of Terrier locos and have been looking at the Dapol limited edition models which are way out of my price range to be honest

I have painted my own versions of 2659 and 2647 as they were easy as they are unlined all black but wondered over the colour of the 2655 dark green loco as below

post-4201-0-11279100-1360187671.jpg

Looking at every picture I have found it looks to me that the green is more the GWR green used by Dapol on the terrier. If anyone owns both could they confirm this?

I would like to add though that these are for my own personal collection and will never be passed off as the actual item unlike this one that was on eBay recently

post-4201-0-92394000-1360187779.jpg

I assume from the paint runs on the loco, the extended smokebox and the fact there is the old livery showing through on the sandboxes that this is not strictly what it seems. Or did Dapol really respray old bodies and paint them by hand at the end? 

Thanks for your time

Gary

• 4 years later...

I'm looking to add to my collection of Terrier locos and have been looking at the Dapol limited edition models which are way out of my price range to be honest

I have painted my own versions of 2659 and 2647 as they were easy as they are unlined all black but wondered over the colour of the 2655 dark green loco as below

attachicon.gif2655.jpg

Looking at every picture I have found it looks to me that the green is more the GWR green used by Dapol on the terrier. If anyone owns both could they confirm this?

I would like to add though that these are for my own personal collection and will never be passed off as the actual item unlike this one that was on eBay recently

attachicon.gif636.jpg

I assume from the paint runs on the loco, the extended smokebox and the fact there is the old livery showing through on the sandboxes that this is not strictly what it seems. Or did Dapol really respray old bodies and paint them by hand at the end? 

Thanks for your time

Gary

Hi Gary,

As this is now being discussed on another thread I thought I better chip in.

You are correct, Dapol really did respray old stock in new limited edition liveries!

After the factory fire and their selling much of the tooling to Hornby, they assembled quite a few limited Edition hand finished models (and not to a very high quality).

The batches were a maximum of 100, my Dad was number 46.

I've had about a dozen that I've been selling on.

They are authentic, it's just bloody difficult to find any information on them!

Yours

Luke

Archived