Loksound V4, Chuff louder ?

AGR Model Store

Hi,

Just bought loksound V4 A1 fitted the decoder & the speaker into the tender,

All the sounds are very loud ( well the way they should be ) But the Chuff off the loco going round is very quiet.

Any way off making this louder ?

Im using a gauge master prodity dcc02.

Thank you.

Researched it myself and found it out hopefully to be CV 259

Sort of....  

1 -  you MUST also quote and set the two index CV's (CV31 and CV32) before doing anything with LokSound V4  CV's above and including CV256.    The CV's above 256 have multiple meanings, and failing to set the index values correctly will mean you're setting something else.

2 -  assuming sound project is following the conventions in the ESU decoder manual for which slot is used for which sound.  Most do follow the conventions, but ultimately only the sound project writer can confirm this (or lots of careful trial and error).

- Nigel

Sort of....  

1 -  you MUST also quote and set the two index CV's (CV31 and CV32) before doing anything with LokSound V4  CV's above and including CV256.    The CV's above 256 have multiple meanings, and failing to set the index values correctly will mean you're setting something else.

2 -  assuming sound project is following the conventions in the ESU decoder manual for which slot is used for which sound.  Most do follow the conventions, but ultimately only the sound project writer can confirm this (or lots of careful trial and error).

- Nigel

Hi, 

Thank you for the information.

I Set CV31 & CV32 to which number ? 1 ? Then 259 ?

Reading the LokSound V4 manual very carefully is strongly recommended before faffing with such a complex decoder.

Page 51 covers the basics of index CV's.

CV31 is currently always 16

CV32 can take values 0,1,2,3,4

Volume control is pages 69-71.  The value of CV32 is described on page 71, and should be 1 for the volume control settings.

(CV259 really does control four different things depending on the value of the index CV's, three of them set function mapping elements, one sets volume).

- Nigel

I see,

So set CV31 - 16

CV32 - 00 / then try Cv259

If does not work try CV32 - 01 and repeat the process ?

No,  randomly trying different values in CV32 (or CV31), then changing CV259 will result in you changing things you don't want to change.   

You MUST think of each settings in a LokSound V4 as having three CVs before it is identified;  CV31=16 (for now it is always 16),  CV32 is currently allowed values 0,1,2,3,4.     Only with those two index values set correctly does a CV number mean anything.  

So,  write CV31=16, write CV32=1 then read CV259 will give you a sound volume value.  

But write CV31=16, write CV32=2, then read CV259 gives you a setting from the function mapping.  (Specifically control CV C, which decides what keys F6, F7, F8, F9 do in relation to "mapping line 1") 

Write CV31=16, CV32=3 then read CV259 will give a different setting from function mapping.  (The same function keys, but this time "mapping line 17".  Mapping line 17 is usually set to key F11 and often to play one of the sound slots, so changing this WILL result in something altering in your loco's behaviour). 

Write CV31=16, CV32=4 then read CV259 will give a third different setting from function mapping. (Similar again, but "mapping line 33")

I'm not sure what write CV31=16, CV32=0 then read CV259 will give; my notes on decyphering the internals of the LokSound V4 are on another computer. 

- Nigel

• 7 months later...

Thank You :)

Got it working now, quite well i hope, sounds are better then before.

Hi,

I have the latest Hornby B1 which I have fitted a Loksound V4 to and also feel that the ' Chuff ' could do with some extra volume. I have altered the main volume but still not loud enough when at exhibitions. Can you please take me through step by step as I have got as far as CV 259 and set it to 192 - but not sure if this is correct.

I also have a Legomanbiffo CL37 fitted decoder - could I use the same procedure to increase the driving sound?

Bill.

This is supposed to be a forum that helps all the users to solve problems. How was the problem sorted?

Hi,

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My apologies David - normally I would have received a reply from some corner of the forum to my query as I didn't I was a bit ' miffed '.

The problem was simply resolved by following the previous posts - even although I didn't fully understand it.

Bill.

Folks,

I have exactly the same problem as AGR07 - ie all sounds come out OK, but the chaffs are way to quiet.  However, unlike him, I can't seem to fix it.  I seem to have two issues.  Firstly, I can't change the value of CV 259 with CV 32 set to "1".  Basically, CV 32 seems to stay at "0".  I think this is the case as (a) it reverts back to "0" even after I change it and (b) on the Indexed CVs page of Decoder Pro, against CV 259 the PI value is 16 and the SI value is always 0.  Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong here please?  The second problem I have is that I still don't understand the explantions being given (for which I apologise!).  I'm assuming that, if and when I can change CV 259 with CV 32 set to 1, then I simply set it to the maximum value.  Is that right?

Thank you.

Matthew

Sorry "Chuffs"!

Matthew,

IF you are using DecoderPro,  and IF you have the current test release (3.5.3),  and IF your system can access CV's above 255,  then the LokSound V4 file should be able to set volumes correctly.   Some systems have problems with high number CV's,  I believe NCE is amongst this list of systems with problems.  

Use the "Sound Levels" pane within the decoder.  

The master volume is what it says,  the other sliders cover all the sound slots.  What each sound slot contains depends on the individual sound project, so you may have to systematically experiment with those. 

(And you don't need this "indexed CV" stuff with CV31/32 as DecoderPro does it for you)    

The LokSound V4 files in DecoderPro  are still under development, and a number of features are not yet finished.   There is a Read Me pane which details what doesn't yet work - the main thing missing is function mapping. 

On my copy of DecoderPro,  adjusting Sound Slot 1, results in a change in the Indexed CV table, with the correct index values recorded. 

- Nigel

Nigel,

Many thanks for this.  I'm using the latest production version of Decoder Pro (3.4) with a SPROG.  As I said, it shows me the CVs above 255, but I can't seem to be able to change them.  To be honest, I got to be quite expert with the LokSound V3.5, but V4 is still an enigma to me!

Can I add one very obvious (and somewhat embarrassing!) angle to all this.  I'd put the decoder and speaker inside the tender which is, of course, a completely enclosed space.  Yesterday I drilled a hole in the slanting top of the tender and sat the speaker facing upwards in the coal bunker with a bit of black foam fitted on top to cover it up.  The difference in sound volume was dramatic - at least a factor of two, if not more.  So now for me at least, it's absolutely fine.  Indeed, I need to turn down the volume of some of the effects as they're too loud!  As I said, very obvious, but we don't always think that way do we!

Thanks again for your expert input.

Matthew

Matthew, 

there are a load of code changes in JMRI between 3.4 and 3.5.3 for the LokSound V4, some fixing basic issues.  There are more changes for the decoder to come.   If you want to manipulate the V4 with DecoderPro then, for the time being, you'll have to move with the test versions (currently 3.5.3). 

- Nigel

• 1 month later...

Just fitted a 40mm x 28mm speaker purchased from Maplins into the tender of a Hornby Grange 4-6-0 and what a difference in the volume of sound being emitted in comparison to the speaker that came with the ESU LokSound V4 decoder. I will be using this version for all future tender installations.

The Maplin Code if interested is N25KJ and retails at £7.99.

Just fitted a 40mm x 28mm speaker purchased from Maplins into the tender of a Hornby Grange 4-6-0 and what a difference in the volume of sound being emitted in comparison to the speaker that came with the ESU LokSound V4 decoder. I will be using this version for all future tender installations.

The Maplin Code if interested is N25KJ and retails at £7.99.

And the same speaker has been available fom Digitrains for several years, currently priced at £5.50.

http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/dss230-speaker--rectangular--4ohm--2w--40x28x11-5mm.aspx

I agree, if you can get it in it is a great speaker which I've shown in my step by step fitting guides in Hornby Magazine, and is, for example, the standard speaker fitted by RAIL EXCLUSIVE in their sound - fitted Class 47s.

Paul

Archived