Quarry turnout templates 0-16.5

Simon Moore

Hi All,

Are there any suppliers that do a template for quarry turnouts in 0-16.5 ?? I want to make some copperclad track in 7mm & i'd really like a template to work from. I know Kbscale do things in 7mm but the gauge is wrong is there anyone who does a template to suit 0-16.5 ??

Cheers,

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Although I have never built any track, I would have thought that you use a roller gauge to get the 16.5 - in which case why not use the KB templates to get the sleeper spacing correct, add about 2.5mm on to the length and then use the roller gauge to get the rails the right distance apart. I cannot imagine that track built just from a template can be accurate enough - or have I misunderstood the question?

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I've also never built track - which might have some impact on how much weight to attach to what I'm saying here:

This is probably a stupid question, but would it work if anyone were to alter the scale of these templates when printing them out?

(If I remember correctly, I believe they're PDFs, which can be printed to any scale you like on many home computer / printer setups - something like 118% would probably come close, if this sort of thing were workable.)

Otherwise, the only printable templates I've seen for O narrow gauge on 16.5mm track have been foreign - actually On30 and probably too big a "radius" - on the FastTracks website http://www.handlaidtrack.com/.

OK, the chances are that the FastTracks templates probably won't be what you need (and you're not likely to be after any of their track building tools, either) - but the site also contains a wide range of free resources ("how-to" guides and the like), which are likely to be of interest to people modelling a wide range of prototypes.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

Are there any suppliers that do a template for quarry turnouts in 0-16.5 ?? I want to make some copperclad track in 7mm & i'd really like a template to work from.

Hi Simon,

Print your own. :)

Templot is free and will do 0n30 templates and lots of others. There is a download file for these sample 0n30 templates  (2ft-6in prototype, 16.5mm model track gauge):

0n30_samples.png

Right-click on the link and select Save Target/Link As...

Download: 0n30 sample templates data file for Templot.

More examples of industrial n.g. templates, these are for Gn15:

gn15_4_print.png

gn15_1.png

gn15_print.png

This last screenshot is just a bit of fun with the F7 snapping -- it took only a couple of minutes to produce this nonsense: smile.gif

gn15_2.png

regards,

Martin.

Archived