Sea Wall

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

Tired at the end of a complicated week from a work perspective. Just had an idea which may be completely crazy but I wanted to run it past you helpful folks on here. Someone may just have some experience of this.

I'm keen to build a layout using Wayne Kinney's superb new fiNetrax. But I am very aware that it's going to take me a long time (a very long time!) to build my "big project" layout (Tamworth) with this as there will be a lot of pointwork to make. So I thought that it might be a good idea to build a scenic testtrack with no pointwork on the visible part and good old Peco on the hidden sidings.

My first thought was a stretch of Settle & Carlisle or the Ambergate-Chinley line (so as to use a Blue Pullman). But to use locos that will appear on Tamworth LL, it seems to me that a stretch of North Wales Coast line (around Penmaenmawr) might be a better option. So far, so ordinary.

My crazy idea for today is this............

If I model the cliffs as whitish stone, could I, by way of colour filters on the lighting, also make the cliffs appear to be red sandstone and have occasional operating sessions with Warships, Westerns and 50s? I would probably put a small signal cabin on the layout (shown as disused following change to colourlight signalling) which could be removeable to create London Midland/Western atmosphere as appropriate.

Sounds interesting - for Dawlish you could include a Blue Pullman - there is a photo around of one passing Langstone on a special towards the end of their lives around 1972 (albeit in reverse grey/blue corporate Pullman livery)

STEVE

• RMweb Gold

I rather like the reversed livery (if and when Farish decide to do one).

But I could not then run it on the upper level of Tamworth when that finally arrives. I've actually started to wonder whether I should not build the high-level station first and then move downstairs.

Thinking about it, the plus of this idea is that it costs very little to try for the Dawlish option - just a few extra lights or filters to play about with. I think it needs some sort of spotlight so the pink is only shining on the cliff-face with white light still on the track and beach.

If it does not work, nothing much lost really. 

Archived