4MT 2-6-4 on Western region branch line c1950: Alibi required

PAL

I'd be most grateful to any member who can supply a plausible alibi, or even better a scenario, for a 4MT 2-6-4  trespassing on a Western region branch line just after nationalisation. I'm designing such a branch line layout, but I do so love the lines of the 4MT, which I believe rather inconveniently ran almost exclusively SE suburban traffic.

Fairburn 2-6-4T No.42182 was allocated to Landore in 1960 and later  to Swansea East Dock

This would have been one of the locos used on the Central Wales line from Swansea Victoria; Victoria was more accessible from Eastern Depot than from Landore. Prior to the Landore allocation, the loco would have been at Paxton Street, adjacent to Victoria.

Once Swansea Victoria closed, and the Central Wales services diverted to Llanelly (as it was then), the rump of the ex-LMS allocation went to Llanelly (87F) shed.

Though the BR-built 2-6-4ts were rarely (never say never) seen on the Central Wales, the various ex-LMS 2-6-4ts were often used on local services.

• RMweb Gold

Though the BR-built 2-6-4ts were rarely (never say never) seen on the Central Wales, the various ex-LMS 2-6-4ts were often used on local services.

Yes there's always a precedent lurking somewhere!

3207032605_9709e08b95_z.jpg

BR Class 4 2-6-4T 80097. Shrewsbury shed. 28 September 1963 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

4914322014_2ba493b5d6_z.jpg

Portmadoc by Boxbrownie3, on Flickr

If you're looking for an "alibi" you could simply claim that it's on the line for evaluation. There were various trials carried out to see which of the new standards fitted best where, and while the ex-GWR lot undoubtedly reckoned their Prairies and other bits of greenery were just what they needed, it would at least give you an excuse.

• RMweb Gold

Yes there's always a precedent lurking somewhere!

3207032605_9709e08b95_z.jpg

BR Class 4 2-6-4T 80097. Shrewsbury shed. 28 September 1963 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

4914322014_2ba493b5d6_z.jpg

Portmadoc by Boxbrownie3, on Flickr

Indeed so - but that was after some were being transferred to work on the Cambrian, in WR days only the Standard Class 3s had appeared there I do believe.

• RMweb Gold

This would have been one of the locos used on the Central Wales line from Swansea Victoria; Victoria was more accessible from Eastern Depot than from Landore. Prior to the Landore allocation, the loco would have been at Paxton Street, adjacent to Victoria.

Once Swansea Victoria closed, and the Central Wales services diverted to Llanelly (as it was then), the rump of the ex-LMS allocation went to Llanelly (87F) shed.

And I do wonder if it ever went to Landore - East Depot might have been more likely in some respects although it probably had even less need (and work) for it than Landore had).

October 3rd. 1959

The following were allocated to Landore 87E

42385, 42387, 42388, 42390 and 42394

But, by

February 9th. 1963

The following were allocated to

87D (Swansea East Dock):- 80069, 80072, 80097, 80099, 80133, 80134, by September 1963 the numbers had reduced to 80069, 80134.

A number were also split between 89A Shrewsbury, 89B Croes Newydd & 89D Oswestry sheds, which by September had become part of the LMR No.6 District.

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

And I do wonder if it ever went to Landore - East Depot might have been more likely in some respects although it probably had even less need (and work) for it than Landore had).

42182 is pictured in The Red Dragon and Other Old Friends at Skewen on 23/3/61 heading the 11.35 Swansea-Neath.

The caption further states that, although initially intended intended for the Central Wales Line she was a frequent performer on the unadvertised 6.35 A.M. Swansea-Margam workmen's train, returning light engine before working the 11.35.

She went to East Dock in June 1961.

Also in The Vale of Neath Line by Gwyn Briwnant-Jones & Denis Dunstone, the caption on page 105 states: BR Standard 2-6-4T No. 80133, a regular performer on the Vale of Neath line...

Archived