Controllers for my new layout

gwrman

Hi, my new layout will be 2 circuits and a branch but I want to be able to take trains off either circuit up the branch. I was going to have a double track panel mount controller for the cicuits and a hand held for the branch. But how would the best way for this to be wired, the track plan is not finalised yet.

Thanks Nigel

There are various schools of thought.

Keep it simples or do it the complex way.

Simples

For sake of argument

Controller feeds the following

Up - loop

Down - loop

Branch

Isolate the tracks between up, down & branch.  If the train has to travel over one of these sections you control it with the up on up loop etc.  Thus to say go from up to branch you will need to set all 3 controllers at about same speed & direction.

Complex

Set up the layout into various isolated sections each with a rotary switch.  (Cab control)  Set the switch(es) for the controller to run the section.  Welcome to the DC world of spaghetti wiring.

• RMweb Premium

If you plan to pass trains between controllers, e.g. branch to down, it may help to wire common rail. This means that the, say, inside rail for the whole layout is wired together and to one side of all 3 controllers, while the other rail is just wired to its own controller.

This helds with transfers where one end of a loco picks up from one rail and the other end (or tender) picks up from the other.  Otherwise, the two ends are picking up from separate controllers with no base voltage reference. Doesn't apply to locos with all wheel pickup.

You do need to remember to set both the direction switches to go the same way.

Archived