Rookie Question re Zimo MX648 in Hornby J94 Revisited

steveNCB7754

Steve,

Any function can be assigned to any sound. This makes remapping sounds less daunting, move the sound and the function moves too. It also means that if the sound is an automatically played sound or is a random sound (the same sound can be under manual, automatic and random control all inthe same sound project) the function will operate too.

Unfortunately, this linking has to be done during project compilation and cannot be added without re-blowing the decoder. It is also dependant upon having up to date decoder software (different from sound project software). Also done at re-blow time.

This is why I was trying to establish which version of the project you have loaded right at the beginning. The starting place would have been different, and so would the method to get to where you are now.

Doing what you propose with the firebox door should be prettty straight forward now you know how to re-assign/delete sounds, and re-assigning the function to your chosen F key is just a cv change away.

What you would do.

Assume you want to put the silent firebox open feature on F key 'X' (F0 -F12 are possible).

Use CV300 to put the same sound currently on F X also onto F 13. This overwrites the coal shovelling sound on F 13, no need to clear it first.

Use CV300 to clear the sound from F X.

Assign the firebox flicker to F X  by appropriate CV  change.

We can work out the CV change necessary when you decide which F key to use.

Up to you.

Paul

Paul,

OK, that's interesting.  In that case I'd choose F12 -  moving the 'Water Filling' sound to F13 and then map the 'Fire Box Flicker' LED (FO2) to F12.  Just hope this won't turn out to be a step too far (I'd hate to have to go through all this again after a reset).

Steve N

Steve,

If you are concerned, just change the CV below to remap to F12 (ignore the sound until you have checked it out). It will be simple to reverse with CV value 0.

CV46 = 8.

Re-assign the sounds using CV300 pseudo programming.

You mentioned that you are new here, I hope you don't mind me pointing out the 'appreciation' button at the lower right of all posts by other members.

Everything should be as you wish, now.

Paul

Steve,

If you are concerned, just change the CV below to remap to F12 (ignore the sound until you have checked it out). It will be simple to reverse with CV value 0.

CV46 = 8.

Re-assign the sounds using CV300 pseudo programming.

You mentioned that you are new here, I hope you don't mind me pointing out the 'appreciation' button at the lower right of all posts by other members.

Everything should be as you wish, now.

Paul

Paul,

Mission accomplished.  All went well and everything is as it should be, now back to modelling (until the next loco -  you see I've got this BR 9F ....).

Steve N

Sorry to slightly hijack this thread, but I'm another rookie who has just bought this decoder and soundfile. In my case, it's gone into an 0-16.5 narrow gauge loco.

Having alterered the chuff rate to suit, lowered the sound level and created a suitable speed table, it is quite superb! The motor control is really excellent.

I have just one problem. I only have a small "shunting plank" and the brake squeal at each stop is getting rather annoying. I either need to reduce the duration and volume of the noise to make it more "narrow gauge" or delete it all together. Either that or have it sounding only after a stop from a higher speed.

As I am a CV "numpty", I do all my programmng with DecoderPro using a Sprog, which I find very intuitive.

On the sound tab in DecoderPro I have

Brake squeal threshold (30)

Minimum driving time before brake squeal (50)

The figures being the loaded settings

Will altering either or both of these achieve any of the above, and if so what figures should I try?

Are there any other CV's that I need to change?

Many thanks for any help.

Dave

Dave,

Sorry, missed this post earlier.

Brake threshold. This essentially sets the speed step at which the braking starts on deceleration. Try lower figures to brake 'later'.

Minimum time. The value here is equivalent to the number of seconds x 10. If you repeatedly stop start, the rakes can be a bit annoying, so for shunting there is an option to prevent the braking sound if the last application was within the selected number of seconds. In the project, this is set at 5 seconds, but for shunting, something longer, say,15 to 20 seconds would be useful. Higher values give longer interval, max 255 will give 25 seconds.

You can turn down the volume of the automatic brake sound using the CV300 procedure discussed here. Or since it is just one sound, you can go direct to the appropriate CV 578 and put in a lower value, range 0 - 255.

By manipulation of these three CVs you will be able to get exactly the result you desire.

Removing all inertia/momentum CV3 and 4 will also affect the braking sound. Unlike Loksound, which generally need a far amount of inertia to allow 'drifting' (coasting in diesels) to be triggered, this will not prevent drifting with a ZIMO since the effect is triggered by a single speed step reduction on the throttle.  Drifting works correctly if CV4 = 0 or = 100. (or any other figure within range).

Good luck,

Paul

Thank you for the comprehensive reply Paul, much appreciated. Sorry I haven't thanked you before, but I got rushed into hospital early Sunday morning and I've only just returned home. I'm not quite in a fit state to resume "playing trains", but as soon as I am I'll try your suggestions.

Cheers

Dave

Archived