"Rotterdam Lloyd" 0-4-0T loco

• RMweb Premium

This is my first 'home-made' ng loco ... a 3-D printed body on a ready-made chassis. It is also my first model to use a 3-D print, albeit a ready-made one. The body is by Chris Ward; I added handrails using Markits 'short' 4mm handrail knobs and vacuum pipes from the same source. The paint is three coats of Railmatch enamel primer and then two/three coats of their Doncaster Green, with highlighting using Citadel acrylic. I also put 19 grams of fluid lead under the boiler, total weight of the model is now 57 grams. I found the nameplates in a box of miscellaneous ones in the local model shop ... 'Rotterdam Lloyd' was one of the first Merchant Navy locos to be cut, but the name seems to work for me here. The photos show the essence of the model - simplicity! The Kato chassis runs very sweetly too, the model has now run for about 2 hours.

post-14389-0-70244600-1360704880.jpg

post-14389-0-27625400-1360704879.jpg

post-14389-0-48044000-1360704882.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for the 'likes'. Could I add, I know there is a limited demand for locos with tramway style skirts hiding out of scale mechanisms ... but this sort of approach would be good for someone new to ng modelling who fancies some of the new Peco L&B models. Unlike a kit, you cannot get prominent parts like the cab or chimney 'crooked', the only real work involved is in fettling the surface to remove the layer marks from the printer. I missed a bit at the back of the boiler on this one ...

Archived