Fitting a seuthe smoke unit to a tender drive loco

AGR Model Store

Hi,

Trying to fit a seuthe smoke unit, into a A4 tender drive loco,

Now does the live pick up have to a pick up on the loco or live pick up in the tender ?

Because I've tried testing out the pickup off the loco wheel and I've got no smoke :(

( trying to fit a seuthe no27.)

Any help would be great

Thanks.

I don't know which make or model of the A4 you have, but I'm guessing that it's similar to the Hornby R.309 or R.350 "Mallard". In that case, the tender wheels are live to the tender chassis frame on one side and insulated on the other, and the loco wheels are live to the loco chassis on the other rail and insulated on the first side. The motor receives its power through one connection to each chassis. There is a single wire which connects the chassis of the loco, through the coupling pin, to that motor terminal which is not connected to the tender chassis. The Seuthe No. 27 has two wires. One must be connected to the loco chassis, and the other must be connected to the tender chassis. As manufactured, there is no connection from the tender chassis to the loco, so you need to provide one through a separate wire, perhaps replacing the original drawbar and coupling pin with later types which provide a two-wire connection between loco and tender. Or you could fabricate a pickup in the loco, bearing on the insulated drivers, and connect the second wire of the smoke generator to those.

Other models of Seuthe smoke generators have only one wire, and with this type you would ground the body of the smoke unit to the loco chassis and connect the wire to the tender chassis or extra loco pickup, as above.

Without more specific information about your loco it's not possible to make a definite recommendation, but you might be able to get some ideas by looking at the current Service Sheets which can be downloaded from the Hornby website.

Archived