Rock Island kit supplier

Talltim

It might be good to get those cars, although it doesn't look as if they're actually available. This is one problem with small suppliers, they come and go, sometimes they never quite get off the ground (a possibility here), and the guys are often hampered by personal issues, so that it takes a long time to get what you order, if you get it at all. Speedwitch Media/Ted Culotta is an example: it looks like his business went under, some guys didn't get their orders and are only slowly getting refunds. A list could be misleading.

I think Ted Culotta went through a divorce which disrupted his business. I don't believe he was at Springfield this year, so Speedwitch may not be active at the moment. It's a shame because his stuff was very good, and the instructions with the kit I bought were exemplary.

I think you are probably right about a list, although i think i will still highlight small suppliers that i find on a 'sold as seen' basis

From their website at least RocketExpress seem to have some of the models available now. Me, I'm still waiting for the Amesville Shops PRR GA gondola kit which has been nearly ready for at least a year!

I looked carefully at that RocketExpress site, and I don't see any indication that any of the cars is currently available. Frankly, I don't trust some guy who maybe thinks you should e-mail him to find out what you can buy. That site is elaborate enough that he ought to have an "add to cart" option if he really wants to do business.

Another issue is that not only are these small suppliers often flaky and unreliable, but when they don't advertise, there's no leverage to get them to send the product or issue a refund if your check or PayPal payment goes down the memory hole. I'm having to hassle this with WrightTrak right now, in fact. If someone advertises in MR or RMC or the Gazette, any problem like that gets resolved quickly. No advertising, no route to resolution. It's going to be even harder for someone in the UK to pry a product or a refund out of some jerk with personal issues in the US.

Unless you know these guys personally, or can see real product at a show, fork over cash, and walk away with it, I simply do not recommend dealing with such small, non-advertising, here today-gone tomorrow type guys. 

Archived