Gloucester Railway Society Railtour 10/5/1958

Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Hi, All,

I am attempting to fill in some detail on this excursion.

This is what I know so far.

1. It was formed of a 3-Car Swindon Cross Country unit (later Class 120).

2. A photograph of it passing Midsomer Norton appears in "Somerset & Dorset in the Fifties, Vol. 2" (Ivo Peters).

3. I have seen, but cannot currently find, a published photograph of what appears to be the same train in Lyme Regis.

I would especially like to know:

1. Full route (ideally) but at least whether it travelled down the LSWR main line from Templecombe to Axminster or followed a more circuitous route.

2. Route taken on the return leg.

3. Any information on timings (even if incomplete).

4. Whether or not Lyme Regis was the ultimate destination before returning to Gloucester and details of any other branch(es) traversed in the course of the day.

Thanks

John

In the April 1958 Railway Magazine on p287 there is a paragraph on the proposed tour, organised by the Gloucestershire Railway Society for 10th May, departing Cheltenham St James at 9.10 am, calling at Gloucester Eastgate at 9.30 and Bath Green Park at 10.30, then running via the S & D to Templecombe to Lyme Regis, returning at 4.19 via Yeovil, Frome and the North Somerset line, calling to set down at Stapleton Road, reaching Gloucester at 9pm and Cheltenham at 9.16. The fare was 42 s 6d. No guarantee that it actually ran or followed that route, but that was the plan. Those were the days!

• RMweb Gold

In the April 1958 Railway Magazine on p287 there is a paragraph on the proposed tour, organised by the Gloucestershire Railway Society for 10th May, departing Cheltenham St James at 9.10 am, calling at Gloucester Eastgate at 9.30 and Bath Green Park at 10.30, then running via the S & D to Templecombe to Lyme Regis, returning at 4.19 via Yeovil, Frome and the North Somerset line, calling to set down at Stapleton Road, reaching Gloucester at 9pm and Cheltenham at 9.16. The fare was 42 s 6d. No guarantee that it actually ran or followed that route, but that was the plan. Those were the days!

Many thanks for the info.

I'd heard about the legendary response to enquiries on here but that exceeds all my expectations! 

John

Archived