The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

....and the say the English are mad! and go down to the sea in ships!

shortliner

This video is of commercial fishing boats returning from fishing off the coast of Washington and Oregon . They are crossing the Columbia Bar, which is where the Columbia River meets the Pacific Ocean ..
This is designated as one of the most dangerous ports of entry anywhere in the world. There are at least eight to 10 deaths per year with people trying to get in or out in boats that are not made for this kind of severe beating – the kind you see these boats going through. These boats are self-righting, have a super low centre of gravity, sealed engine compartments, basically bullet proof glass windows, double steel hulls. Well, you get the idea. They are commercial shrimp and fishing boats. The Coast Guard has closed it due to waves of 35 to 45 feet. It is quite a sight to see. Watch the U-tube video and tell me if you would like to have been a crew member on either of these two vessels.
Columbia River bar – let’s go fishing. Not a chance!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ByGSMmenPDM?rel=0

Actually, that is the Grey River bar, Greymouth NZ.

http://www.linz.govt.nz/hydro/charts/nz202-chart-catalogue/catalogue.aspx?Chart=7142&page=index.aspx

The Columbia doesn't have any specific cautions except for the currents (based on the appropriate Coast Pilot) and large ships cross the bar (in the dredged channel) on their way to Portland OR/Vancouver WA. The bar can be closed due to weather conditions, but this is only mentioned in the section about pilots (not required for smaller vessels).

Columbia River http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/BookletChart/18521_BookletChart.pdf

Adrian

The winter swells can be very big. I've routinely watched fishing vessels disappear in the swell from a vantage point on coastal headlands.

I could see a strong westerly (so big swells coming in off the ocean) working against the ebb tide (assisted by the river) causing some seriously nasty steep waves in the river mouth, and the river working against the full flood tide probably isn't very nice either...

Adrian

I could see a strong westerly (so big swells coming in off the ocean) working against the ebb tide (assisted by the river) causing some seriously nasty steep waves in the river mouth, and the river working against the full flood tide probably isn't very nice either...

Yes. Today is not unusual for this time of year - small craft advisory, 13-15' waves with breakers at the ebb (5:45pm tonight and 6:00am tomorrow).

Lots of data for those who like such things from the offshore buoy.

Columbia River bar – let’s go fishing. Not a chance!

I should add that, except for the professional fishermen, most of the people who fish the Columbia (and it is very popular here) do so well inside the bar. The Columbia is very well known for Sturgeon. There are lots of rules though - you have to throw back not just the undersized but oversized as well.

I like the guy at the end who's on deck with a mug of coffee (or something). Major Phlegm....

Best, Pete.

That video doesn't appear to be in chronological order - I think the end bit goes with the early bit (where he is on deck, and then ducks around the cabin and then indoors). About 3/4 of the way through the boats appear to be through the bar (and the blue one has been passed), then they go back to being out in the heavy stuff.

Adrian

Gents - you may well all be right - I relayed te info sent to me in an email - still extreemly multi-yeuch as far as I'm concerned!

If you click on the YouTube link when you have the video open it will take you to the YouTube page with comments. The first comment is from the videographer and says where it is.

Adrian

Archived