RSS - OK_WB - A box from Manchester - On the start line

RSS Fetcher

Instructions read and re-read, yet I cannot get over the fact that they remain incomplete as a whole, making too many assumptions of the kitbuilder's knowledge of the prototype, kit locomotives and building this type of kit. A good description of the process in text referring to numbered parts in a list and on the fret does not give the builder any real idea where a part happens to be used on the prototype or on the model. Not all parts are clearly identifiable as a locomotive part. The drawings are detailed but suffer from reproduction on paper and at being to scale. This is where a larger diagram with annotated parts would help immensely, even more so if it was an exploded view. For example, it is quite difficult to identify which parts have rivet requirements.

Nevertheless, the instructions are of a much better standard that some I have seen, often having no parts list and obscure, unnumbered parts on the fret.

In terms of possible problem areas for the kit builder I have identified:

1. This is an 0-4-0 with a coupled jackshaft, therefore must be treated as a 0-6-0. The instructions give clarification on how to proceed with this.

2. The suspension system description is vague to the point of not of any help.

3. There are many parts that require overlays - nothing wrong with that in design terms but they can present a problem for some.

4. There are a number of parts (e.g. bonnet, cab roof, ) that require bending. Sometimes more than once.

5. A few parts will present alignment difficulties (engine doors) as visually it can be very obvious if they are even slightly out of alignment/spacing.

6. There are quite a number of screws and nuts used in the construction - so alignment of these may present issues.

Other than that most of the parts look quite straightforward once you have figured out where and which way round they go.

So there is a big decision to be made before we make a start:

Suspension: (if any, and if so what type?)

This web article on the subject is very technical, written from a P4 perspective and not IMO that helpful with the basics, but is worth a read anyway.

I have to repeat here that the model is for OO and so will not in this case have to endure the rigours and tolerances of fine scale track. I would with most kits happily go ahead with a rigid chassis construction. But with an 0-4-0 this is generally frowned upon.

Firstly, the kit instructions on building the frames rigid are very clear and the axle bearings are among the parts supplied with the kit. But there are alternatives suggested.

The second option is the use of springing (hornblocks) is only just hinted at in the instructions with no more advice than the fact that the frames have "cut outs" half-etched on them. There is no advice given on fully independent, complete or single rigid single axle convention, or indeed on the impact that the rigid jackshaft would have on this arrangement. I should add, that I have attended a lecture given by Mike Edge and am aware of his opinions expressed there on springing. Which will inevitably influence his kit designs.

Thirdly there is the option for a type of beam compensation on the rear (non-driving) axle. The components to do this again are in the kit and are clearly the way this kit was intended to be built. However, we are back to the thorny issue of understanding how the parts go together and how it actually works.

So which is it to be ? ... perhaps a question for wider forum discussion

View the full article

Archived