Very unusual Hornby Dublo replacement motor

random

Can anyone identify who made this very unusual Hornby Dublo replacement motor with an X04? Seems very strange way to go about remotoring a Hornby Dublo loco when replacing/re-magnetizing/rewinding an original motor would be quicker. It looks professionally made. An unusual curiosity.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/dublo-to-triang-motor-kit-/290839379464?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=XrSqUaBg6ASK2kexfbhGv1%252Fy0DE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I don't know who made this but I feel the casting would be seriously weakened by hacking away enough metal to accommodate the flywheel.

I remember there was an article in one of the magazines describing a similar bodge modification to remotorise a Dublo chassis modified for a scratch built V2 (or K£ or somthing similar - it was a long time ago). IIRC it used a Romford Terrier TT motor. Possibly Meccano Limited didn't want to know about repairing modified mechanisms.

EDIT K3 (finger trouble with the shift key!)  :nono:

I don't know who made this but I feel the casting would be seriously weakened by hacking away enough metal to accommodate the flywheel.

I remember there was an article in one of the magazines describing a similar bodge modification to remotorise a Dublo chassis modified for a scratch built V2 (or K£ or somthing similar - it was a long time ago). IIRC it used a Romford Terrier TT motor. Possibly Meccano Limited didn't want to know about repairing modified mechanisms.

Yes, I have also seen this article. It was a Romford Terrier.

The shaft was "inserted" through the front brush tube, and had a gear on the end. A concete (?) gear wheel was forced onto the Dublo Shaft to take the drive (similar in principle to th eEbay item). The Terrier was flexibly mounted on a bent "tin" bracket.

Most probably Model Railway Constructor, early 1960s?

I always wondered how successful the Terrier was. My experience was not very happy. Having saved lots of pennies (21/3d worth IIRC), I bought one to power my Perfecta/Kitmaster Pug 0-4-0ST)*. The result managed to haul 2 or 3 Dublo wagons, but the motor seriously overheated in nothing flat. Adjusting the gear mesh and lubrication of the mechanism didn't help at all. The remains of the chassis with the gear wheel still turns up from time to time, but I don't know what happened to the rest of it. Perhaps driving a pinion and contrate wheel was less stressful than the Perfecta worm and spur. The Dublo final drive obviously wouldn't be a problem as these always work smoothly.

* 3 rail using a strip of Lotts' copper sheet as a skate - this worked well at least.

I always wondered how successful the Terrier was. My experience was not very happy. Having saved lots of pennies (21/3d worth IIRC), I bought one to power my Perfecta/Kitmaster Pug 0-4-0ST)*. The result managed to haul 2 or 3 Dublo wagons, but the motor seriously overheated in nothing flat. Adjusting the gear mesh and lubrication of the mechanism didn't help at all. The remains of the chassis with the gear wheel still turns up from time to time, but I don't know what happened to the rest of it. Perhaps driving a pinion and contrate wheel was less stressful than the Perfecta worm and spur. The Dublo final drive obviously wouldn't be a problem as these always work smoothly.

* 3 rail using a strip of Lotts' copper sheet as a skate - this worked well at least.

It would seem that the Terrier (designed for TT gauge models) was not very reliable. Overheating seems to have been a common complaint. That and variable manufacturing tollerances. I don't know when it went out of production, but I haven't seen many for sale. (I also have an Airfix Pug motorising kit that was also designed around the Terrier Motor...)

Possibly the same as mine? The Pug was one of the first Kitmaster kits to be reissued by Airfix.

The Terrier drove the rear axle and the kit included metal tyres for the wheels (which didn't fit very well being undersize), two flat plastic sides, with 'low relief' springs*, to cover the under boiler segment which required removal and a plastic yoke to support the motor plus pickup strips etc,

*These warped from the motor heat!

Possibly the same as mine? The Pug was one of the first Kitmaster kits to be reissued by Airfix.

The Terrier drove the rear axle and the kit included metal tyres for the wheels (which didn't fit very well being undersize), two flat plastic sides, with 'low relief' springs*, to cover the under boiler segment which required removal and a plastic yoke to support the motor plus pickup strips etc,

*These warped from the motor heat!

I'll have to dig mine out. I think it is another version, with a cast chassis block, and mine has "proper" wheels and metal coupling rods. I think that the only extras needed were the Terrier motor and a Tri-ang Worm.

EDITED to include the following photos...

The kit is the SIMPLAS, by Wilro Models. (Address in one of the photos below.)

I have assembled the parts as far as possible without using any of the Airfix parts, mainly to lessen the chance of parts getting lost.

DCP15538_zps3e47651e.jpg

DCP15542_zps8bf0f2cb.jpg

DCP15540_zps34862324.jpg

DCP15543_zpsf5afa833.jpg

DCP15544_zpsb12c77ab.jpg

DCP15545_zps7b6f50c3.jpg

I'll have to dig mine out. I think it is another version, with a cast chassis block, and mine has "proper" wheels and metal coupling rods. I think that the only extras needed were the Terrier motor and a Tri-ang Worm.

Altogether a more competent job! The Perfecta kit was a bit of a bodge, plastic not being the best choice for working mechanisms.

To return to the original posting, there's a more workmanlike version here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-dublo-3-rail-chassis-SPARES-/160982835840?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item257b532280

The motor mounting is more solid and a proper flywheel appears to be fitted. The final gear ratio may be too high however. The pinion and crown wheel appear to be about 4:1 (or more?), which results in 60:1 or even 72:1 with the later armatures.

Archived