It was about 12 months ago that I started airbrushing. The kit comprising:

Premi-air G-35 airbrush

Iwata neo airbrush (later purchase)

AS18 compressor

Iwata tabletop claning station

James ultrasonic cleaning bath

Expo spray booth

Safety glasses and B&Q twin filter face mask

All fairly low - mid range stuff but probably about £400. I used a mixture of railmatch paints, humbrol enamels and badger airbrush cleaner aerosol.

Overall the airbrushes have performed well but some of the support kit has proven disappointing:

The compressor is running hot and its automatic cut off is failing. It is simply not lasting the course and will be a big replacement.

The seals and lid threads on the Iwata tabletop are attacked by the airbrush cleaner or other chemicals and became very loose after a few weeks. It is held together by tape. A big fail for a simple idea.

The ultrasonic cleaning bath failed after a couple of months. I couldn't find the receipt and so unscrewed it. A connection had vibrated/burnt loose and was simply resoldered

The B&Q mask is great value. I took it off after a spray session and went to clean an oven with Mr Muscle. That mask went straight back on.

As for set up. Well as a single bloke, the Expo extractor fits nicely on top of the ceramic hob whose own extractor is then set on full blast. The adjacent kitchen unit is covered with a 2'X 3'hardboard sheet. Its about 15 minutes to set up and clear up.

Overall, what amazed me was how easier it is and, overall, how much less messy than brush painting.

I am not sure if that is any help or interest.

Guest Natalie Graham

It was about 12 months ago that I started airbrushing. 

Time to stop for a cuppa and a biscuit then. ;)

Archived