Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Reflections on my first 12 months of airbrushing

It was about 12 months ago that I started airbrushing. The kit comprising:

Premi-air G-35 airbrush

Iwata neo airbrush (later purchase)

AS18 compressor

Iwata tabletop claning station

James ultrasonic cleaning bath

Expo spray booth

Safety glasses and B&Q twin filter face mask

All fairly low - mid range stuff but probably about £400. I used a mixture of railmatch paints, humbrol enamels and badger airbrush cleaner aerosol.

Overall the airbrushes have performed well but some of the support kit has proven disappointing:

The compressor is running hot and its automatic cut off is failing. It is simply not lasting the course and will be a big replacement.

The seals and lid threads on the Iwata tabletop are attacked by the airbrush cleaner or other chemicals and became very loose after a few weeks. It is held together by tape. A big fail for a simple idea.

The ultrasonic cleaning bath failed after a couple of months. I couldn't find the receipt and so unscrewed it. A connection had vibrated/burnt loose and was simply resoldered

The B&Q mask is great value. I took it off after a spray session and went to clean an oven with Mr Muscle. That mask went straight back on.

As for set up. Well as a single bloke, the Expo extractor fits nicely on top of the ceramic hob whose own extractor is then set on full blast. The adjacent kitchen unit is covered with a 2'X 3'hardboard sheet. Its about 15 minutes to set up and clear up.

Overall, what amazed me was how easier it is and, overall, how much less messy than brush painting.

I am not sure if that is any help or interest.

Guest Natalie Graham

It was about 12 months ago that I started airbrushing. 

Time to stop for a cuppa and a biscuit then. ;)

Archived