6X44 Dagenham-Didcot

RJS1977

This working seems to be a popular topic of discussion in my office (even amongst non-enthusiasts) as it's a bit of an odd sight seeing countless Ford Focuses and Transits travelling backwards along a railway line!

As a result of today's discussions I looked up the WTT to find out where it was going from and to. Dagenham's pretty obvious, but why Didcot? There certainly doesn't seem to be sufficient of a population at Didcot to buy that number of cars every day, so I'm guessing they get forwarded from there. But do they get offloadad to road transporters for onwards transport, or does the train get remarshalled into other train(s) for onwards travel?

This working seems to be a popular topic of discussion in my office (even amongst non-enthusiasts) as it's a bit of an odd sight seeing countless Ford Focuses and Transits travelling backwards along a railway line!

As a result of today's discussions I looked up the WTT to find out where it was going from and to. Dagenham's pretty obvious, but why Didcot? There certainly doesn't seem to be sufficient of a population at Didcot to buy that number of cars every day, so I'm guessing they get forwarded from there. But do they get offloadad to road transporters for onwards transport, or does the train get remarshalled into other train(s) for onwards travel?

At Didcot, traffic from Southampton is attached, and the train then runs as a Marchwood/Eastleigh-Didcot-Mossend working, I believe.

6X44 usually forms the bulk of 6X65 Didcot to Mossend. The front portion of the train is detached at Warrington to form 6X58 Warrington to Garston car terminal. The rear portion goes through to Mossend for unloading thereat.

• RMweb Gold

As others have pointed out DBS moved most ops from Wembley to Didcot a while back and now operate a 'hub and spoke' style operation form there.  Similar kinds of mixing and matching go on with MoD trains to Bicester, Kineton, Marchwood, Shoeburyness and elsewhere, presumably giving manpower productivity savings versus other options in the SE.

Archived