Dear all,

I am in the process of building a GWR 8750 pannier and would like to model it in original as built condition.

I know this means no bunker steps, no top feed, different injector outlet, no whistle shield etc but it is not clear from photos whether they were fitted with the round tank fillers when new (same as the 57xx)?  To be clear the model will be of the 8750 pannier with the newer roomy cab which I know on later models had the oval shaped clasp tank fillers.

An help would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

Paul,

As far as I can tell without an exhaustive search of photos, the change in filler caps probably happened around 1935-6. For example, photos in one of the Pannier Papers volumes show 9774 with the earlier type and 9784 with the later type. The problem is that this observation comes from much later photos and there may have been tank, or even just filler changes in between.

You don't specify which particular loco you are modelling and it may be worth bearing in mind that although the first lot of 8750s were built in 1933, the last ones were not built until 1950. All of the variant features you mention became original fittings at various dates between 1936 and 1944.

So, the real answer is that it all depends on which loco you are building and at what date. Dated photos are really the only way to be sure.

Nick

Nick,

I was thinking of modelling 8752 as I have a picture of this loco at Paddington in 1937, sporting Great Western on the tanks.  The tank filler definately has the L shaped handle rather than the clasp so I assume this may mean it is the round version as applied to the 57xx.

Regards

Paul

Archived