Pilton Yard

scanman

Some of you were kind enough to respond to a call for help regarding the Welsh Narrow Gauge railways.  One of the responses mentioned the 'Narrow Gauge Review' which I duly purchased.  In addition to the article I wanted it was full of very good modelling - 'Bridport Town' being but one article!  I was hooked - so here I am.  I might even have to change my avatar!

So why the 'L&B' and in particular 'Pilton Yard'?  I've always had a whimsical interest in the line, stemming from a holiday in the area in the '70's, but other modelling interests have hld sway.  Now with retirement I have time (but perhaps not the money!) to indulge in whimsy...

'Pilton Yard' being the main running shed and maintenance yard seems to be the ideal location.  An excuse to model all the stock in a fairly 'industrial' setting and with some interesting architecture to boot and a degree of operational interest.  Should time (as in lifespan) permit I might go on to model some of the more 'bucolic' scenes associated with the line (a Version of 'Mikkel's 'Eating the Elephant'!

The modified 'Googleearth' image shown berlow indicateds the approximate baseboard area - I've got 12' x 7' to play with, and evenif it has to be slightly compressed should allow the yard leads to the 'main line' to be modelled.

post-3469-0-87004800-1362961975_thumb.jpg

The track gauge will be 14mm - being a better scale/gauge ratio than 16.6mm....  I just hope someone will produce the relevant locos!

So thats the plan  - on with the research

Regards

Ian

• 7 months later...

The Lynton and Barnstaple Railway Measured and Drawn by Stephen D. Phillips...

Available from Camden at £65 - worth every penny and no research needed as it is all in this book.

At  7mm scale as per original railway dimensions,  to include headshunt, I am allowing  16 ft by 5 ft.

Edited to include dimensions.

Archived