LOST IN COLORADO!

allan downes

A first attempt at American O30 narrow guage.

Unlike modelling standard guage layouts where everything has to conform to proper railway practice ( and even that can vary from company to company and not more so than than with the GWR!) narrow gauge is, and forever will be, a law unto itself and what isn't bought, begged or borrowed, was knocked up behing the engine shed - and usually out of bits that had fallen off everything else!

So it was without too much trepidation that I headed off up into the mineral rich mountains of Colorado ( there are mountains in Colorado aren't[attachment there?! ) and built anything that looked like it could bore holes into mountains, segregate it, load it into holding hoppers then when ready, haul it off down the mountain base material for building yet more McDonalds and Tony The Giant Doughnut Outlets!

So,my first attempt - and probably my last...

post-18579-0-92947600-1363092324_thumb.jpg

post-18579-0-44240800-1363093297.jpg

post-18579-0-75574300-1363093610.jpg

there are mountains in Colorado aren't there?!

Oh yes, some quite big ones...

It looks good, my only comment being that you may have gone a bit overboard on the rust. A lot of Colorado is quite dry*, so the rust can be inhibited a bit.

*although other bits can be quite damp - Steamboat Springs (a ski resort) gets a huge amount of snow in the winter, so much so that the main airport for it is 25 miles away in Hayden, on the other side of a ridge and much drier.

Adrian

Hi Adrian.

Looks like I'll have to change location then!

I just said Colorado cos I like the sound of it where in fact, the layout I suppose could be almost anywhere - well the bumpy bits of the States anyway!

The rocks faces, in case that you might be interested, are made from screwed up tissue paper where it only took a few hours to work round the entire layout - 16'x 3'

Regards.

Allan.

Archived