Model Rail 181 Spring 2013

dibber25

Some snaps - click to blow up .....

The models are stunning, as are the photos, the only thing that detracts for me ( and the recent issues have also suffered from this) is the cartoon smoke that has been added. It doesn't seem to matter what an engine is doing (sitting in a siding, streaking up a mainline, plodding up a branch line, turning on a turntable) the same blob of black has been plastered above the chimney. 

Looking at the real thing (there are plenty of clips on youtube), both slower trains on preserved railways and fast mainline specials, the smoke is usually much lighter in colour and far more subtle. A hint of smoke might enhance the photos but a just wish it was toned down?

• RMweb Gold

Impressed by layout & content of reviews of the'Thumper' & 2-BIL. Comprehensive and to-the-point. Thank you ,Chris.

Also liked the critical review of the Mod.Hall. It pulled no punches and answers accusations that the modelling press 'cosies up' to manufacturers. Excellent edition !

• RMweb Premium

I was really bothered when I saw Chris's posting on the previous page with the photos as it says 'Click to blow up . . . Farkham'

As the Treasurer of the Mickleover Model Railway Group, seeing our best layout 'blown up' would have brought tears to my eyes as I know what it cost - but I clicked anyway !!

Farkham can't be at our show in May as we wouldn't have an exhibition manager, chief steward or general all round helper as Alex, Paul and Dave are three key members of our exhibition team. I'll be starting an exhibition topic soon . . . . .

Mike

Re Chris' comments in Backscene ( Not bad for a 55year old) about the old Triang EMU a couple of shots of my friend  Dave's heavily breathed on Triang EMU

post-7090-0-62132500-1363868120_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-44811700-1363868149_thumb.jpg

As you can see they do come up well. He has a couple of rakes of them

I've often wondered why nobody has produced a SUB (either 3 or 4 car) They were long lasting pre WW2 to the late sixties, therefore plenty of livery variations.

Guest oldlugger

Some snaps - click to blow up .....

Farkham...

attachicon.gifnevard_121106_farkham_IMG_1322_WEB.jpg

End of the Line...

attachicon.gifnevard120912_loop2_DSC_8994_CLAG_WEB.jpg

The O1 heading for London.... and alternative view to the cover image with a little race going on ''chase me, chase me''

attachicon.gifnevard_121222_thompsonO1_DSC_2575_CLAG_WEB.jpg

The track on Farkham looks even narrower than OO gauge in this shot; the concrete sleepers seem more disproportionate than usual for this gauge. Maybe it's angle of the photo? 

Speaking as one who has bought only one model railway magazine in three years (BRM), I am finding this copy of 'Model Rail' interesting reading. The Hornby 2-BIL looks a stonker with its masses of rivet detail and pipework. Mention was made in the review of moulded-on detail, which on a 4mm railway carraige makes sense. I don't think anyone was criticising Hornby for this after seeing so much separate detail fall off the Gresley corridor coaches.....The  critisism of 'detail clever' moulded handrails was aimed at steam locomotives.

I am currently going through Graeme King's fascinating 'Create a K4' article. What a super model........A lot of us in North Wales fell for the K4 after it traversed the hilly Conwy Valley line to Ffestiniog with ease and dignity!

All round a smashing issue and something to get my teeth into for a few nights bedtime reads.

What a super model

Very kind of you to say so. You do know they had three cylinders of course........

I'd have added a smiley or something similar to this post, to lighten the mood, but it seems that all of the options on my RMWeb "reply" toolbar are in a state of hibernation/coma at present

• RMweb Gold

Re Chris' comments in Backscene ( Not bad for a 55year old) about the old Triang EMU a couple of shots of my friend  Dave's heavily breathed on Triang EMU

attachicon.giftriang emu1.jpg

attachicon.giftriang emu 2.jpg

As you can see they do come up well. He has a couple of rakes of them

You are giving me ideas. Should I spend the money to buy a set and DCC, rewheel and repaint it? The answer may be "Yes".

I've often wondered why nobody has produced a SUB (either 3 or 4 car) They were long lasting pre WW2 to the late sixties, therefore plenty of livery variations.

I assume you mean RTR, as etched kits are available.

Picked up my copy this morning. One of the best issues I've read for a good while. The O1 weathering section, and Graeme King's K4 build in particular, highlights for me.

The Bachmann Hall review was fair and seems to have solicited an appropriate response from the manufacturer. Praise for both the review, and for Bachmann's prompt action when alerted to issues. In fairness to Bachmann, they have an excellent track record in this regard. Few things have impressed me more than their handling of the blue 2EPB livery errors.

another very nice issue with some top layouts. :)

a gripe though: has anyone else noticed the rather large number of typos and errors in the issue? I'm only about half way through and already I've noticed several. doesn't seem like the text has been subjected even to a simple spell checker...

a gripe though: has anyone else noticed the rather large number of typos and errors in the issue? I'm only about half way through and already I've noticed several. doesn't seem like the text has been subjected even to a simple spell checker...

These comments are a mite unfair, chaps - especially in an environment where there's no editorial control over spelling or grammar! Spell checkers ARE used, but frankly they are a waste of time. In many instances a momentary slip of the finger to press the 'change' button in error, will turn Hornby into Horny or Bulleid into Bullied and in the time spent re-correcting those errors one might as well have not bothered with the spell-checker. By far the greater number of errors are still picked up by routine proof-reading. We do that, too, in addition to spell checkers but with the huge amount of other work that continually interrupts proof-reading, catching every error is not possible. For the gentleman who thinks it's different 'THESE DAYS', yes, it is. Publishers no longer employ copy-holders and proof-readers to read aloud and check proofs, as they did when I started in the 1960s. The only job those people had to do, was to hunt down 'literals' - and even they had, on their wall, a sign that read 'We never make mastikes'. These days, magazine teams are small and VERY busy. How about giving us a break, once in while. 

CHRIS LEIGH

(Edited to add 'a' before 'mite'. Gosh, it's so easy to make a mistake!)

I spotted a lack of capitals when commencing your sentences. :mosking: 

These comments are a mite unfair, chaps - especially in an environment where there's no editorial control over spelling or grammar! Spell checkers ARE used, but frankly they are a waste of time. In many instances a momentary slip of the finger to press the 'change' button in error, will turn Hornby into Horny or Bulleid into Bullied and in the time spent re-correcting those errors one might as well have not bothered with the spell-checker. By far the greater number of errors are still picked up by routine proof-reading. We do that, too, in addition to spell checkers but with the huge amount of other work that continually interrupts proof-reading, catching every error is not possible. For the gentleman who thinks it's different 'THESE DAYS', yes, it is. Publishers no longer employ copy-holders and proof-readers to read aloud and check proofs, as they did when I started in the 1960s. The only job those people had to do, was to hunt down 'literals' - and even they had, on their wall, a sign that read 'We never make mastikes'. These days, magazine teams are small and VERY busy. How about giving us a break, once in while. 

CHRIS LEIGH

(Edited to add 'a' before 'mite'. Gosh, it's so easy to make a mistake!)

this was my first comment regarding the magazine and frankly I am quite surprised at the response: giving us a break "once in a while"? I hardly think that's fair.

I read and subscribe to many publications and MR was the only one in which I had noticed any volume of errors, hence the question. if I had noticed this occurring in others I would not have mentioned it. I apologise for any hurt feelings. I am a customer and thought I had a right to critique what I had purchased, same as happens for every product mentioned on this site, and reviewed in MR I may add! I also don't see the relevance of comparing the 'editorial control' over spelling and grammar on a forum, which is designed to be a casual affair, with a professionally produced publication.

however, since the first part of my previous post apparently did not register I will repeat it again:

These days, magazine teams are small and VERY busy. How about giving us a break, once in while. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Fair point, and duly noted, although it is always best to TRY to maintain the long accepted standard and correct form of English, especially in the printed word, in order to maintain the status quo in the language for the benefit of all of those who might still some day like to be able to read and understand the words written down in an earlier age. The fact that the school and higher education systems have done little for many years to teach and enforce the use of proper English really hasn't helped of course.

I still can't use any of the options on the toolbar of my RMWeb reply pane, which stays resolutely "pale" even when I try to wake it up...

this was my first comment regarding the magazine and frankly I am quite surprised at the response: giving us a break "once in a while"? I hardly think that's fair.

I read and subscribe to many publications and MR was the only one in which I had noticed any volume of errors, hence the question. if I had noticed this occurring in others I would not have mentioned it. I apologise for any hurt feelings. I am a customer and thought I had a right to critique what I had purchased, same as happens for every product mentioned on this site, and reviewed in MR I may add! I also don't see the relevance of comparing the 'editorial control' over spelling and grammar on a forum, which is designed to be a casual affair, with a professionally produced publication.

however, since the first part of my previous post apparently did not register I will repeat it again:

I'm sorry if I over-reacted to your post. It was one of two, in similar vein, and I must admit that, had it just been yours, I probably wouldn't have responded. You are, of course, quite entitled to speak your mind as, equally, I'm allowed to try and explain why things are the way they are. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Fair point, and duly noted, although it is always best to TRY to maintain the long accepted standard and correct form of English, especially in the printed word, in order to maintain the status quo in the language for the benefit of all of those who might still some day like to be able to read and understand the words written down in an earlier age. The fact that the school and higher education systems have done little for many years to teach and enforce the use of proper English really hasn't helped of course.

I still can't use any of the options on the toolbar of my RMWeb reply pane, which stays resolutely "pale" even when I try to wake it up...

We spend many a long day TRYING to do just that but there are (if I recall correctly from a calculation I did many years ago) around 50,000 words in an issue of Model Rail. We do use standard English and we have sub-Editors to bring us into line if we digress, but we are producing a disposable product for today's audience and not something for which its prime purpose is to be read by future generations. I know that might be thought shocking but it is a fact of life. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Click on the little grey light-switch at the top left of all the buttons/functions (mousing over it shows the tag 'BB Code Mode').

• RMweb Gold

Just out of interest, can anyone shed any light on the etymology of "breathed on"? I think I understand the meaning in context but where does it come from? I'm not sure I've ever encountered it beyond modelling circles, but I'm guessing it has or had a wider application?

Just out of interest, can anyone shed any light on the etymology of "breathed on"? I think I understand the meaning in context but where does it come from? I'm not sure I've ever encountered it beyond modelling circles, but I'm guessing it has or had a wider application?

Probably Genesis 2:7  ....Then the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground. He breathed the breath of life into the man's nostrils, and the man became a living person.

Archived