Gearbox needed!

PGC

I'm putting together the components to build a BR (ex GER) Claud Hamilton 4-4-0 using a Golden Arrow resin moulded body and Comet 2P chassis.

To avoid the common problem of weight distribution in a 4-4-0, I will mount the motor in the tender, use a High Level tender riser to drop the drive below the footplate and cardan shafts to connect to a gearbox on the loco's rear axle. This will allow me to put some weight in the firebox directly over the driving wheels as the firebox won't be filled with motor etc.

I will use a Mashima 1420 motor and to get a maximum top speed of 50mph (in the days I'm modelling the loco would never have got off secondary main lines or branch lines, so this is a realistic top speed) I reckon I need a gearbox with a ratio of 60:1 or even 80:1.

Could anyone suggest where I can get a suitable gearbox? I can bodge together some High Level bits if necessary, but I'd prefer not bodge if I can help it!

Thanks

PGC

An upsidedown Exactoscale 30:1 or 40:1 box with a 2:1 transfer box in the loco might get the cardan out at about the correct height datum, but you'll need to check the pitches. (Dimensions and drawings are still carried on the old Exactoscale site.) I suspect the pitches might not work out, so a 30:1 or 40:1 box (normal orientation or upsidedown*) cardanning through to the transfer box in the tender might work out better, and wouldn't need a HL tender riser.

* The latter is likely to result in a low height motor axis in the tender. A Mashima 1420 will fit between the tender wheel space in EM or P4, but not in OO. Suggest do a sketch to check the various shaft heights clear what you need to clear.

The instructions for the high level gearboxes that I have say they can be used as part of a remote drive system where cardan shafts are used. They include extra plates to support the drive shaft.

Roger

Thanks for this info, Roger, I hadn't realised this is the case (note to self - RTFM!).

I will look at the drawing and High :Level gearbox planner to see what works and place an order.

PGC

Archived