southern N15 8 wheel bogie tender.

Hi all does any one know how loco crew got on top of southern N15 8 wheel bogie tender to fill it with water? did they use a ladder or was there a step at the back of the tender? I have looked at pictures, through some books I have got on southern loco's but there no answer/clear view on how they got up there. any help?

cheers mike

I have not seen any pictures of N15 8-wheel tenders with steps at the rear, and ladders would not have been used at the many and various places where water was taken, access I think would have been 'over the top' of coal from the cab end.

Six-wheel tenders had a couple of steps, possibly fit firemen used lamp brackets to climb up from the rear on both classes but how common this was I can only guess.

Rob

The flared tops on many pre-grouping design tenders would have made access from the rear difficult, even with steps fitted, so most of these were 'over the top' jobs for that reason. When a number of 'Arthurs' were fitted for oil-burning, Bulleid style welded ladders were fitted to these tenders, as safe access was no longer possible over the fuel tanks.

Archived