Railway & lineside buildings:Plans, dimensions, drawings

• 3 weeks later...

I have found this thread very helpful!

Having downloaded one set of plans, I noticed that the pages didn't come out to scale (probably because I hadn't set up my printer correctly) but all is not lost. I have created a speadsheet in Excel format which will convert the printed dimensions by inputting the scale of (any) drawing and the scale modelled in and then entering the known measurements. It will also enable all other dimensions to be converted from physical measurements taken from a drawing into the dimensions required for the scale of the model. As I work in 7mm scale and the plans are 4mm scale this is a great timesaver.

Hopefully it is attached for others to download. It is protected so that only the required information can be input. There is no risk of anyone accidentally deleting the formulas!

If it won't download it, PM me with your email address and I'll send you a copy.

Ken

size converter.xls

Basically, if you download a plan to a scale that is different to the one you model in then this will help you convert the measurments easily. If the plan has been reduced in size by downloading or printing - as my copy of your excellent warehouse plan was on my printer - then this will enable you to use it by taking physical measurments of parts of the plan that have dimensions shown, and it will take all the hard work out of the calculation of all the other dimensions too. It will even convert 4mm to any other scale and correct the reduction in size too!

It's easier to use than it is too explain!

Ken

I did wonder about that when I scanned them from the book - would it throw the scale bar out?

Anyway, if you have a basic knowledge of house dimensions in general, then you could still work from the drawings - it would be no different really from working from a photograph.

Cheers.

Allan.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived