Ebay purchase has spawned a dormant narrow gauge interest

larryblag

Hello everybody.

Joined RM web a while ago. I have a 00 gauge layout started in our old 6 x 4 garden shed (actually it's a kiddie’s playhouse with a very low roof - but I'm vertically challenged anyway). To cut a long story short - I have been really disappointed by the rather tight radius curves I've had to use as (to me) it's all looking a bit too "toy" like. New (bigger) shed was on the cards this year but low finances have put paid to this.

Wanting to keep my hand-in I've been making up dioramas for practice (one of which I've donated to my local model shop). Quite by accident (beer fuelled I recently bid on (and won) a Fleischmann Magic Train Diesel shunter. I was delighted when it arrived - the seller had described it as "the full detailed version" which it most certainly is. Also it's fortunately the less toy-like version finished in green (see pics).

I've taken some pics with it on my 00 diorama (removing un-scale items beforehand). The whole episode has rather inspired me to be honest - to the point where I might be really disloyal and ditch 00 and start again with 0-16.5. Tight curves are not only "OK" but are in fact entirely appropriate for narrow gauge.

A small diorama is required so that I may get fully acquainted with 7mm so I'll let you know how it goes.

A side-project is to scratch-build a gauge 1 diesel shunter for my annual visit to the Talyllyn where I'll be volunteering again in July. Don't panic, I know their gauge is 2ft 3inches but they have a delightful model railway too.

Bye for now :-)

post-14713-0-47794400-1364142939_thumb.jpgpost-14713-0-94806400-1364142944_thumb.jpgpost-14713-0-99084200-1364142947_thumb.jpgpost-14713-0-14485900-1364142954_thumb.jpg

Well done! I've been a narrow gauge modeller very much on and off (a gap of 40 years up to 2007 when finances once again allowed my interest to take centre stage again). Before the dormant period, I was an OO9/HOe devotee and this is where I took uo again. However, a good mate of mine was into O16.5 and it didn't take long for me to be converted. I'm now building my first decent layout since late teens and I can say it is a step worth taking.

I haven't posted anything about my layout yet, but in a couple of months when the progress makes for some good photographs, I will.

I'm sure you won't regret the direction you've gone in - beer fuelled or not! - and based on your photographs, your modelling skills will make your layout first class.

Ken

Well done! I've been a narrow gauge modeller very much on and off (a gap of 40 years up to 2007 when finances once again allowed my interest to take centre stage again). Before the dormant period, I was an OO9/HOe devotee and this is where I took uo again. However, a good mate of mine was into O16.5 and it didn't take long for me to be converted. I'm now building my first decent layout since late teens and I can say it is a step worth taking.

I haven't posted anything about my layout yet, but in a couple of months when the progress makes for some good photographs, I will.

I'm sure you won't regret the direction you've gone in - beer fuelled or not! - and based on your photographs, your modelling skills will make your layout first class.

Ken

Thanks Ken :-) and yet again this proves how useful decent forums are. Encouragement without judgement just enhances enthusiasm.

G

After 40-plus years of modelling in 00, and becoming disillusioned with it I switched to 0-16.5 about a year ago. No layout yet, but I decided to model the TR. This is because it involved a level of kit or scratch-building that I hadn't done before -  a bit of a challenge. The first loco (Douglas) was covered on this forum

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/57212-0-165-tr-no6-douglas/

Since then, other locos and rolling stock have appeared here

http://ngrm-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6290-0-165-talyllyn-occasional-workbench-no-2-dolgoch/

It is a decision I've never regretted - in fact I wish I'd done it years ago. It's possible to build something of an individual character without the fear that, just when you've finished it some RTR manufacturer will bring out an infinitely better version!

I find it easier and more satisfying in 7mm scale to add detail as my eyesight isn't what it was.

I picked the TR as it is my favourite NG line where I volunteered years ago, but many opt for "freelance" - the choice is yours.

I doubt I will return to 00, and a huge amount of stuff needs to go on Ebay. That's something else about NG modelling - you don't need as much of anything to make it look the part!

Cheers

Dave

That does look a nice loco, I didn't know the Magic Train range included one so detailed!

I'm sure you'll enjoy NG, it has so many possibilities and yet, as you say, is easy to model convincingly in a modest space. Even in 7mm scale! There doesn't seem to be much NG on RM-Web, not enough to my mind, so always good to see something new. However you'll find plenty of inspiration here

Archived