O gauge Shelf Micro

hartleymartin

I have a space 110cm x 28cm in which I may attempt to place a micro layout. It is the bottom part of the bookshelf above my desk.

Thus far I am looking at making a #4 Wye Point using a free print-out template off the internet. Doing my homework I have found that using my Ixion Hudswell Clarke, I have found that the sidings will have a 2-wagon capacity if I can keep the overall length of each wagon down to 20 scale feet (140mm).

Any ideas for how to scenic such a shunting diorama? Perhaps I should look at getting a #3 point template?

Or should I give up on this space and put it on top of my tall-boy and try for a 150cm x 50cm space?

Hi, I usually work in feet and inches- so not sure exactly what size space you have.

However, look at some of the o gauge box file threads, they would be about the size you describe.

Personally, I would go for a wharf or other urban scene as you can give the impression your layout is part of a much bigger scene.

Half relief factories look especially convincing if you take your time to build and detail them- or Skytrex also do ready cast ones.

I look forward to seeing how you do.

Dougal.

Guest Jim Read

Hello Martin,

It's a teeny bit ambitious but ... you could make a 3 way point and have one into three, I get away with 34mm between tracks so you could have 20 from the edge then 32 - 34 - 32 - 34 - 32 = 204 and have some room for a warehouse on one track.

I could superimpose my 34" radius point drawing to make a 3 way and send it to you.

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Martin,

I'll do the 34" 3 way I've responded to your message :-)

Hello Kenton,

What a shame you live in the south and I live in the north I would have invited you to have a go on my layout at the next show I go to.

2yl7f68.jpg

The operating area you see here is 33" by about 13"

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Martin,

I was looking through the book on the Selsey Tramway and came across a rather odd point configuratio, which led me to this

egwmro.jpg

CM dimensions, the thing on the left is a small traverser.

The point looks like this;

mjya68.jpg

You would be able to use the traverser as a loco release run round, it would make the operation very interesting indeed.

Just a thought cheers - Jim

Hello Kenton,

What a shame you live in the south and I live in the north I would have invited you to have a go on my layout at the next show I go to.

The operating area you see here is 33" by about 13"

Cheers - Jim

Hi Jim, I have been following Moxley Heath. It looks incredibly cramped yet still pack quite a lot of potential operation. This has been achieved, I think you will agree by the use of the hidden traverser and its "extension" along with the additional width and its extension.

The dimensions being proposed here are much more restrictive. A width of less than 12 inches makes 3 parallel tracks virtually impossible without one track running with the sleepers along a board edge and that scenic space of 33 inches on yours ignores the essential hidden traverser and its extension that gives Moxley heath its potential.

I believe there does become a point at which track cramming doesn't produce a layout or even a diorama and that bit of wood simply makes a good plinth for an attractive model of an A4/Kimg/Princess/(favourite big loco).

Guest Jim Read

Hello Kenton.

I didn't realise you'd followed the thread about my other layout, my apologies.

Having taken it to a few shows now I'm beginning to appreciate it more and more, the operating potential is a lot more intricate and varied than I thought it would be and I'm only just beginning to plumb its depths.

It's really nice to be able to sit on my upturned waste bin and operate from one position instead of having to constantly move to do something, I can also chat to people while operating. Setting up and breaking down is so easy now just three car to site journeys and that means I can get to a venue 1/2 hr before it opens and be sitting there with a cup of tea when it does.

Best wishes - Jim

Hello Martin,

I was looking through the book on the Selsey Tramway and came across a rather odd point configuratio, which led me to this

egwmro.jpg

CM dimensions, the thing on the left is a small traverser.

The point looks like this;

mjya68.jpg

You would be able to use the traverser as a loco release run round, it would make the operation very interesting indeed.

Just a thought cheers - Jim

Just to clarify, is that 55 cm between fouling points, 110 cm overall, 18 cm for the traverser and the rest divided equally between the left and right hand sidings?  It's an interesting arrangement. I'll have to do some playing in my head to see how it would work in practice.

Guest Jim Read

Hello Pat,

The 55 was a bit of a guess, I've just measured the point crossing vee to crossing vee in Photoshop and it's 30.5 cm then I popped into the garage to measure the fouling point and its 13.5 cm, this is with 3.4 cm between tracks instead of the usual 4.2 cm, so altogether thats 57.5 not far out. The traverser could be hidden in a building with enough room outside for one wagon and the point moved off centre.

I use lining wallpaper, print out the point drawing onto card and then cut around the curve to use as a drawing template.

It would be lovely to see what you come up with.

Hello Jack,

Wow bet that wasn't easy I've never done anything like that.

Cheers - Jim

Archived