The Western Maryland Railway 'Gordon Sub-division'

For the color of the mine buildings, I would go for silver or light gray, and pretty clean. http://wvcoalhistory.com/tipples.html

Thanks for the link, looks as if it will be very useful.

I've tried to save it into Favourites but it won't let me for some reason.

As for colours, I've got the C&O Historical Society books on coal railroading but they're in Black and White.  Some of the tipples in there seem to be a darker shade but perhaps it's just weathering and dirt?

I think in earlier years, some were painted black, probably availability and durability of the paint -- it might have been tar, in fact. In more recent times, the PR value of a lighter shade probably made a difference.

• 1 month later...

Latest bulletin!

I have completed my model based on MY Tower at Ridgeley using photos from books and the web as my guide.  It is not an exact model as its intended site is a bit smaller than the real one but I think it  achieves the character of the original.  The real MY Tower was finished (I think) in 'Insulbrick' siding in an imitation brick pattern.  From what I've been able to deduce from photos this was manufactured in 5 brick x 5 brick sheets with a definite 'pattern' of the darker contrasting 'bricks'.  These small sheets were also staggered to avoid adjoining verticals so there is a random but regular arrangement of them which I've tried to duplicate.  I used brick plasticard mounted on thick card painted  with a base colour and the darker bricks individually added once it had fully dried.  I found I could only do about half a wall at a time or I got cross-eyed!

Here's some photos of the real thing.  You can see whether or not I've managed to capture the character of the building -

http://www.wmwestsub.com/marylandjct.htm

I'm not sure what the 'edifice' is on the front of the box.  Could it have been an exhaust flue for a heating system?  There is also a conventional chimney but perhaps the use of this was discontinued when the oil tank at the rear (for a new oil heating system?) was installed.  The tank will be added once the building is in place on the layout.

The steps are Central Valley, slightly different to the real ones but so much easier to use than scratchbuild!  Roof is Wills slate sheet.  Everything else (lamps, handrails, chimney, doors, flue etc.) was scratchbuilt mainly from styrene sheet, wire, pins, etc.

The real location was in the angle of a wye opposite the entrance to Knobbly Tunnel.  Mine is similar but if I have it facing the tunnel all the detail on the front and side will be lost.  It will therefore probably be sited facing the overbridge across the entrance to Gordon yard which is how I've positioned it in the photos.  This corner of the layout has not yet been scenicked pending the construction of the extension which will incorporate the other 2 sides of the wye. I did include the appropriate points for this when tracklaying.

The model will be on show at Wakefield Exhibition this coming weekend.

post-807-0-21194300-1385640496_thumb.jpg

post-807-0-27266900-1385640518_thumb.jpg

Edited by 5050
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks for the favo(u)rable comments.  It won 'Best Railway Structure' award at Wakefield over the weekend.  I've now got a pewter tankard to keep clean for the next 12 months.  The inside and around the rim might not be a problem though......................

Regarding the 'win', I might actually have been the only entry...................................

Someone commented at the show that it is smaller than they thought it was  I've had comments like that before but not necessarily about signal towers.

Perhaps it was the 'Father Ted' effect?

'Near.' 

'Far away'

Edited by 5050
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I've now discovered - by finding 2 totally unrelated photos in 2 different books, piecing them together and realising what I was seeing - that the 'edifice' on the front is actually the truncated remains of a 3 arm train order signal!  Why it was not a separate signal and why the whole signal wasn't fully removed when it became obsolete will probably never be known.

This means that the piece of 'exhaust piping' I had carefully integrated into the top end is completely wrong...............................

Probably..................... :fool:

• 2 weeks later...

This last week or so has been spent trying to get the layout to run after its long 'hibernation'.  Not an easy task I'm afraid.  The rails needed a damn good clean and the recent ballasting hasn't helped even with the care I've taken (or thought I had!) - and my trials and tribulations with Kadee trucks is documented elsewhere.  The main point leading into the coal tippler etc. needed electrical attention because the power wasn't being fed to the frog etc.  Now I've discovered that my P2K locos all have split gears.

Is stamp collecting any easier as a hobby.....................................

Yersterday at the Northern Counties American Modelers meeting I was taken to task by my club chairman for heading this thread as 'Western Maryland RR' - the RR referring to 'Rail Road'.  Now, as I'm sure all of you know, it was not a 'RR' but a 'RW' - the official title was 'Railway'.

I hang my head in shame - but can't find a way to alter it. :fool:

go to your original post in this thread and click on edit.

You can then later the title

Thanks.  I had tried that but then realised that you have to use the 'Full Edit' function.

Learn a little every day etc. - and that's the 2nd thing I've learned today!

I was taken to task by my club chairman for heading this thread as 'Western Maryland RR' - the RR referring to 'Rail Road'.  Now, as I'm sure all of you know, it was not a 'RR' but a 'RW' - the official title was 'Railway'.

Um, with all due respect, your club chairman is wrong.

From 1853 until 1909 it was most certainly the "Western Maryland Railroad."

Name was changed when the line was reorganized after coming out of receivership in December 1909. A not at all uncommon situation.

Marty

Um, with all due respect, your club chairman is wrong.

From 1853 until 1909 it was most certainly the "Western Maryland Railroad."

Name was changed when the line was reorganized after coming out of receivership in December 1909. A not at all uncommon situation.

Marty

Yes, I know, but my version is well and truly a lot later so Railway it is. :smile_mini2:

Edited by 5050

• RMweb Premium

I think the origin of the BNSF was that the Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railway was originally funded with a lot of capital from the UK and the 'Railway' stayed through the merger.  This also applies to CN and CP for obvious cutural reasons.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

The Southern as well.

My shaky understanding of it all is that both terms, railroad and railway, were in use in the UK in the mid 19th C but that railroad gradually dropped out of favour over here. I think you can find railroad in old parliamentary bills.

• 4 years later...

After more than 4 years (where has it gone??!!!) I'm revisiting this thread, not to post news of any developments, but to say that I've hardly touched it during this time.  In fact, it has become a bit of a dumping ground for all sorts of things.  I have become a lot more involved with my British modelling in P4, especially industrials and Western Region, so much so that I would like to start a new P4 layout - but space to do so is a problem.  I may therefore take the decision to part with the WM layout and stock so if anyone may be interested in acquiring it then please PM me to discuss.

• 2 years later...
On 09/03/2018 at 13:54, 5050 said:

After more than 4 years (where has it gone??!!!) I'm revisiting this thread, not to post news of any developments, but to say that I've hardly touched it during this time.  In fact, it has become a bit of a dumping ground for all sorts of things.  I have become a lot more involved with my British modelling in P4, especially industrials and Western Region, so much so that I would like to start a new P4 layout - but space to do so is a problem.  I may therefore take the decision to part with the WM layout and stock so if anyone may be interested in acquiring it then please PM me to discuss.

The layout is still in a condition of suspended animation along with all the WM (and B&O, Pennsy, Reading, N&W etc.!) stock.  I will be happy to part with it (for a realistic sum) if anyone is interested.  Please PM me for details.