GWR Goods Wagons book reprint

RussellD

Just seen on Amazon that the classic "GWR Goods Wagons" (combined edition) book by Atkins, Beard and Tourret is being reprinted. The publication date is apparently 12th Sept this year. I'm definitely interested in getting it but the RRP of £55 is rather eye watering!

I'm definitely interested in getting it but the RRP of £55 is rather eye watering!

For half the price of a loco you get most of the information you will ever need to build any GWR wagon. It will last a lifetime. Buying the photos or drawings separately would cost far more.  It's a bargain.

Just seen on Amazon that the classic "GWR Goods Wagons" (combined edition) book by Atkins, Beard and Tourret is being reprinted. The publication date is apparently 12th Sept this year. I'm definitely interested in getting it but the RRP of £55 is rather eye watering!

What was eye watering was the original combined price of the two volumes in 1975-6 of £9.00 for half the information. At least mine were signed freebies

However, I do wish the table of numbers was altered so that more information is provided on each lot, as far too often it is impossible to know to the nearest 5 or even 10 years when a wagon was introduced.

Paul

This is one book I have wanted for one a many years!! I previously purchased the 1986 version off ebay for £16 and this has been a gospel to me in the research of the GWR wagon. I then saw this book in the NRM collection and it was a great read! Pre-ordered my copy now too!!

• RMweb Premium

In what way is it expanded? - I have the original books - with the original price tags!!! - Combined they ran to 225 odd pages, I see Amazon are listing in excess of 500.

What else will it cover? Or is it just a case of changing the size and/or font? - I cant see it listed on the Ian Allen web site.

There

In what way is it expanded? - I have the original books - with the original price tags!!! - Combined they ran to 225 odd pages, I see Amazon are listing in excess of 500.

What else will it cover? Or is it just a case of changing the size and/or font? - I cant see it listed on the Ian Allen web site.

First they were produced as two slim volumes in 75 &76. A combined volume followed, also D&C in 86 when containers were briefly added.

The TP publication is published in 1998 and to quote from the frontispiece "Fully revised and considerably augmented with new material and reset as a completely new edition"

No hyperbole, Most of the diagrams are reproduced in full, instead of the half and half nonsense of earlier editions. Many many more photos, containers all included. Short appendix on WW2 GWR built and used wagons.  It is larger format and 519 pages. Compared to earlier editions which were expensive this is well worth £50 - books are becoming relatively less expensive than they were in the 1980s. My one gripe is that the table of diagrams/lots/numbers is unrevised which means many building periods for example stretch over a decade and other numbers are not given. I suspect the information is available to improve much of this.

Why would IA have it, if it is not published yet. TP itself is not mentioning it http://www.tourretpublishing.com/index.html

Paul Bartlett

OK just looked at http://www.amazon.co.uk/GWR-Goods-Wagons-A-G-Atkins/dp/0860936570/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364760522&sr=8-1-fkmr0 and see that it is now to be published by OPC in mid September. The Amazon write up appears an accurate description of the 1998 edition.

Thanks for this Paul. I have the c.220p 1986 combine & without the above, I would have ignored the forthcoming reprint

Just a thought, would those with access to the information be amenable to contributing towards a revised list which could be made available, perhaps as an online pdf ?

Umm well I'm not doing it, far too much to do on BR wagons. I just wish IA would reprint our book.

Unfortunately it has to be realised that the original authors are elderly (if still alive?). I think it may be relevant that the title has passed to OPC (are they now Ian Allan?). Of the authors the only one I knew was David Hyde and he was retired - relatively youthfully because he was with the Police - when I knew him in c1970 and lent him the first diagram book they used. He also had nothing to do with the 98 revision. Tony Atkins appears to be still active as he is the author of the books on GW goods workings and yards.

Perhaps John Lewis might be willing to do something after he has revised GWR Siphons for the HMRS, although he did respond to someone asking about the GWR departmental fleet to do their own research in the NRM. And that is really what I suggest is done if others think it is important.

Paul Bartlett

Just a thought, would those with access to the information be amenable to contributing towards a revised list which could be made available, perhaps as an online pdf ?

I'm sure that we all have access to it via one or the other archive itjust takes some kind souls to wade through the entire lot lists and reproduce the information in a convenient format.

Archived