For my next trick - 'Bonnie Prince Charlie' - RSH 0-4-0ST

• RMweb Premium

As something of a placeholder, I'm creating a thread for a 3D print project I'm in the very early stages of. The subject in question is the small RSH 0-4-0ST 'Bonnie Prince Charlie' (RSH Works Number 7644, apparently), now at Didcot. Built in 1951 he worked on Poole Docks up until 1969 when he then went into preservation.

At the moment the main task is to acquire plans of the loco (or its type). I've contacted Didcot and they and their contact don't have them. I can't tell if the NRM have them, but they're next on my list to try.

Anyhoo, here's a link to BPC's page on the Didcot website, so others can see what he looks like:

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/locos/1/1.html

and also a photo here on RMweb:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/33879-rsh-0-4-0st-no-1-bonnie-prince-charlie/

He had a twin in 'Western Pride', but he was scrapped unfortunately.

OK. So, the most accurate way to generate the info you need is to do either a 3D Laser scan (my day job), or do a sketchup. In my opinion, sketchup is too clean. By that, I mean you can generate the geometry but its super clean. But when you look at the BPC, its the small imperfections that give her some soul. .Laser scanning will capture all of those in glorious detail. The best way to scan would be to see if you can liase with Didcot and ask that they can give you access to the loco, with good clearance all round. 20-30 feet is ideal.

A laser scan would get processed to either a .ply, .obj or .stl file, that you can then get 3d Printed out.

Scanning would typically take a whole afternoon, but if you want as much data captured as possible, including the cab, you should really aim for a full days scanning, so as to minimize holes caused by occluded areas. The best way to scan would be to see if you can liase with Didcot and ask that they can give you access to the loco, with good clearance all round. 20-30 feet is ideal.

Other smaller holes would then be filled out in GEOMAGIC

So, your BPC is indeed a very interesting project. I shall be watching this with keen interest

• RMweb Premium

I have ViaCAD 2D/3D as my 3D CAD software. I don't know if it can natively handle those file types, I'll have to do some research. The 3D scan, design and print world is somewhat new to me, so there is something of a learning gradient I have to go through. However, 3D scan would of course be a beautiful thing to have to work with, even if only as something to use to get measurements from.

I believe BPC is not active at the moment, so I don't know if access would be easy or hard. I'll have to contact Didcot again and see what they say.

Watch this space...

• RMweb Premium

A quick update:

I've checked ViaCAD 2D/3D v8 specs on Punch's site and it can import and export .stl and Wavefront .obj files. I see mention of .ply support added to the Mac version but no mention of .ply compatibility with the Windows version so don't know about that.

I've emailed Didcot Railway Centre and asked about the current status of BPC, but as it's Easter holidays haven't had a reply yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've had a reply from Didcot regarding 3D scanning, and it looks like they are amenable to the idea. It's probably best to arrange such details via PM than have it all in the thread at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A little known anecdote...

After I heard a short piece on PM on Radio 4 tonight, I was reminded that for the film 'The Heroes of Telemark' a couple of scenes were shot in Poole Docks, one to represent Norway, and one to represent the UK.

I've checked out an old recording I have of the film, and the one leaving Norway starts around the 11 or 12 minute mark (my recording didn't quite start at the very beginning so is missing a some of the opening titles). It's shot on the main industrial dock (called 'New Quay' in reality, and in contrast to the UK arrival scene which was shot at the lifeboat house end of Town Quay). In the scene, in the background, one of either 'Bonnie Prince Charlie' or 'Western Pride' is shunting some vans! So either way, this becomes a project to recreate a film star! :)

• 1 year later...

The RSH industrial locos were the Hawthorne Leslie designs with very slight design changes in fact the 12" and 10" locos are identical where as the 14" locos can be spotted by different sandbox fillers.

BPC is a 10" cylinder loco, as far as I am aware no complete drawing archive survive from HL or RSH, although NRM has the order books.

It might be worth you contacting the chaps at Tanfield as if anyone knows of the existence of a set of 10" RSH/HL drawings they will.

• RMweb Premium

I wasn't aware how close the designs were. I don't believe any original drawings exist for BPC, but until I've visited Didcot I won't know what they have (either original or new) that could potentially save me a lot of measuring-up time.

• 1 month later...

Ian,

I did contact you back in 2011 saying I'd prepared a set of General Arrangement drawings for BPC some years ago before my Father and I gave up ownership and donated the loco to the GWS. I did give the GWS copies of my GA's and also drawings for new brake blocks and smoke box door I prepared for manufacture.... I guess they lost the lot !

If want a dwg or pdf copy of the GA email me your email address and I'll send you a copy.

Regards

Clive

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

I haven't visited Didcot yet, so I've no idea what they have in the way of drawings. For all I know they still have yours.

Unfortunately my precarious circumstances have kicked me in the b*lls yet again, so the computer I have for design work has had to be boxed up along with all my other stuff as I struggle to find a place to live. Unfortunately whatever place that ends up being will probably be too small for me to work in, so all CAD work of any kind is on ice until further notice.

However, I'll drop you a PM with my email address and would be grateful to have a GA to work from when/if I ever get back on my feet.

• 2 years later...

Ian,

I did contact you back in 2011 saying I'd prepared a set of General Arrangement drawings for BPC some years ago before my Father and I gave up ownership and donated the loco to the GWS. I did give the GWS copies of my GA's and also drawings for new brake blocks and smoke box door I prepared for manufacture.... I guess they lost the lot !

If want a dwg or pdf copy of the GA email me your email address and I'll send you a copy.

Regards

Clive

Good morning, Clive

My other half is researching BPC for a Gauge 1 build. Would you be prepared to share the GA with us?

Thanks

Liz

Archived