A1SLT A2/2?

Talking to a member of the A1SLT (name withheld) the other day on the P2 base, he told me a bit of interesting news as he knows I’m a bit of a Thompsonophile.

He said that ‘Either in the failure of the P2 gaining the green light, or if it is built, we have started investigating the possibility of creating a new A2/2 Pacific. This would be easier if we did build the P2, but can be achieved without the P2 being constructed.

The venture would use the common Diagram 118A boiler, in common with Tornado and the planned P2. It would also have one piece frames to try and eliminate the cracking of the originals. Roller bearings would be used throughout, and other various tweaks to improve the overall design would be executed.

The choice for a A2/2 was an informed one, as there are no Thompson Pacifics in preservation, and would represent the design change between the P2, A2/2 and Peppercorn A2, highlighting how the design of ‘mixed traffic’ engines evolved throughout a 15 year period of the LNERs history. It also represents a major gap in the evolution of not only the history of the LNER, but of locomotive design in Britain and in the period of WWII.’

So, I for one can’t wait to hear the next update to this interesting idea. I wonder what the ‘purists’ will make of this idea...

Archived