Class 8Fs in Cornwall

fender

in my Illustrated History of the Cornish Main Line book it is stated that from time to time Stanier 2-8-0 8Fs were known to visit the county.

does anyone know of any photographs of them in action here?

Fender,

Never seen a photo or any other mention of an 8F in the County.  In fact, apart from the Brits, I have only ever seen GWR type beasties in photos taken on Western lines in the county.  If anybody can come up with a photo, then that would be a coup.

yep, me too. I was quite surprised when I read it.

The nearest I can find is 48475 on a Tavistock Jcn to Bristol freight climbing Hemerdon bank in 1955 in Stanier 8F's at work.

This is not a million miles from Cornwall.

Hope this is of interest

Pete.

thanks for that Pete. yesterday I found a pic online of one pulling a freight to 'Plymouth', but I can't find it again now. I supposed they may have made it in to Cornwall if they went to Plymouth on any kind of regular basis.

edit: found it: http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/Strangers-standing-local-engines/story-14143410-detail/story.html "Bristol to Plymouth Fish Train"

The first photo in Maurice Dart's book The Last Days of Steam in Devon, shows 'Swindon-buit LMS 8f 48410 from St Philllip's Marsh shed (Bristol) taking a rake of empty coashing stock out of St Budeaux West 'Down' goods loop bound for Wearde sidings on 6.8.57; a remnant of the original Cornwall Railway route between Saltash and St Germans, which was retained until 2.12.64 as carriage sidings. Taken by Mike Daly.

I'm sure Maurice has written pieces for The Bodmin Steam raiIway members mag, about some of the more unusual locos in Cornwall, I will try to look these out in the not too distant future.

The first photo in Maurice Dart's book The Last Days of Steam in Devon, shows 'Swindon-buit LMS 8f 48410 from St Philllip's Marsh shed (Bristol) taking a rake of empty coashing stock out of St Budeaux West 'Down' goods loop bound for Wearde sidings on 6.8.57; a remnant of the original Cornwall Railway route between Saltash and St Germans, which was retained until 2.12.64 as carriage sidings. Taken by Mike Daly.

I'm sure Maurice has written pieces for The Bodmin Steam raiIway members mag, about some of the more unusual locos in Cornwall, I will try to look these out in the not too distant future.

thanks. I'd be very interested to hear.:)

• 2 weeks later...

thanks. I'd be very interested to hear. :)

I knew that I'd seen it somewhere............. Bodmin & Wenford Rly News, winter 2005, Kenneth Brown wrote 4 pages titled 'West Country Steam 1943-45'

and I quote....'In mid-April 1944 8F 8435, brand new from Swindon, arrived at PZ and began a regular stint on the 6:10 am Tavistock Junction goods. I had a good look at her at Long Rock and thought how different she was. The men preferred GW engines of course, but 8435 must have unlocked a door somewhere as 8Fs became regular visitors.'

These pages, written by Kenneth and illustrated with his own and Maurice Darts photos ran though a number of B&W News issues are a great in site into the West Country's railways before many of us remember them.

Archived