Sholto

cromptonnut

Ladies and gents,

Whilst looking through a box of old photos I came across the following snap.

sholto_zps870f770b.jpg

It is of a clearly diesel narrow gauge loco called "Sholto", and I believe that it may well have been taken on holiday in 1986 in Wales when we were staying at a caravan park at New Quay

However, I have absolutely no idea where it might have been, as Wales does have a lot of odd little railways, or indeed what Sholto is. 

Can anyone shed any light on where that might have been taken, and where Sholto may live now?  I think it looks rather cute and has given me yet another idea for a small layout project.

If anyone's interested, I'm the one in the burgundy jumper with my hands in my coat pocket, my dad to the right of me.

A quick Google shows that you are probably right, thankyou - although it appears to have been heavily modified since then.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cd37901_transport_pics/7461301814/

Can't believe it really, have been there twice in the last 2 years and now can see it most likely is the Teifi.

I don't suppose a 7mm kit of the thing is available?

http://www.nonneminstre.co.uk/7mm-narrow-gauge.php

Hudson Hunslet - 3rd down on that page.

The latest photo actually shows it in a more "original" state, i.e. without cab, the Hudson Hunslet was a very common 2' gauge loco and produced in bulk - including during WWII as a loco for munitions dumps, construction sites, etc. There are quite a number preserved.

• 2 months later...

Definitely the Teifi Valley- the livery of the coaches is rather distinctive!

My Dad was a volunteer there at around that time, and used to drive Sholto as well as Alan George (a Quarry Hunslet). I think there was a rather boxy Motor Rail called "Sammy" floating around too.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived