Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Indian Premier League 2013

Mike at C&M

Earlier this evening, I had the immense pleasure of watching a contest to make any cricket fan purr with delight.

Ricky Ponting and Sachin Tendulkar batting together, the two highest career run scorers in Test cricket, being bowled to by Muttiah Muralithian, whose has the record for the highest number of wickets in Test cricket.

And where can you see these Australian, Indian and Sri Lankan (respectively) legends playing together - the Twenty20 tournament called the Indian Premier League.

For the next six weeks, 9 franchise teams from India combine most of the worlds' best international cricketers with many of the risign stars from India.

If big hitting, razzmatazz, cheerleaders (yes, I know it is cricket) and intense atmosphere are your thing, then ITV4 has all the coverage you will ever want.

Happy viewing.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone who reckons that cricket is not entertaining should search for a video of Chris Gayle's inning in the IPL this afternoon.

175 not out off 67 balls with 17 sixes. The fastest ever hundred in 1st Class cricket, in just 30 balls.

As perfect a display of big-hitting that you will ever see.

Hi,

Yes, one of the most, if not the most exciting & fun sporting event I watch, Dad and I have watched for the past couple of years and have enjoyed it, we don't support any of the teams, but we like the atmosphere of it, although we both admit the dancing girls add to the pleasure of watching it! :P

I wish that Britain had something like it, at the moment I can't see Lords, allowing constant horn blowing, dancing girls or interviews with players in the game!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

wish that Britain had something like it, at the moment I can't see Lords, allowing constant horn blowing, dancing girls or interviews with players in the game!

Well I suppose the domestic T20 competition is a bit more restrained and you're very unlikely to ever get the sort of football size crowds in that the IPL enjoys in India.  That said we go along to the Northamptonshire T20 games when they occasionally play at Campbell Park in Milton Keynes.  It's a really nice bowl of a ground and there's always a good atmosphere.

I saw a little of Gayle's innings today - brutal and impressive.  Puts my 7 at the weekend in the shade a bit!

Ralph

Lambton58

I wish that Britain had something like it, at the moment I can't see Lords, allowing constant horn blowing, dancing girls or interviews with players in the game!

Simon

Oh yes! Lord's does have T20.  Nothing last year because of the Olympics but I think a couple of my duties this year cover T20 games.  Checking the duty list, looks like 4 and 25 July.  Sandwiching the Ashes Test match, which will be bloody hard work.

Bill

As indeed does the Oval.

I went to a T20 match for the first time last season, and it was entertaining - but some things were a bit bizarre, such as the random "Mexican" horn blasts - and some things were just tacky - the "all change" in a very sleazy voice every time a new bowler came on.

Given a choice, I'd take a sunny day at a test any time, over a T20, but I enjoyed it anyway

• RMweb Premium

Yes been watching it for a couple of years now. I discovered it whilst sitting indoors on a dreary spring day, flicking through the channels. Even SWMBO likes it, she calls it multi-coloured cricket, due to the uniforms, although one or two of the teams are hard to distinguish between as their colours are almost the same. They missed a merchandising trick with no "away" strips.

Rob

Archived