Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Liveries and Reality

On the Hornby 2010 releases thread I mentioned the forthcoming release by Model Rail and Harburns of a Bachmann Class 108 cunningly disguised as a Strathclyde Class 107 as an example of the American practice of offering models in liveries which may not precisely match the ptototype. Just as an example I have an Athearn CF7 in Maryland and Pennsylvania livery; I also have a number of photos of the original by which it can be seen that it was a phase 3 CF7, while the model is actually a phase 1 CF7. Basically it's the same locomotive, but like the Class 107/Class 108, there are differences in the windows.

A lot of the reaction on the Hornby thread was screaming ab dabs ;) about "fictitious" liveries and a dark reference to the dodgy lum on the first version Royal Scot; but while the Hogwarts Castle does carry its red livery very well once you get used to it,I'm certainly not suggesting a free for all, just pointing out that a flexible approach like this will get you a Class 107, and perhaps a few others besides which won't otherwise appear

Archived