Carnoustie in the 1950s

Guest Mikado

Guest Mikado

Hi, something just popped into my mind, unsurprising as there is plenty empty space. This is a bit of a ramble but if anyone can add to the post I would be interested in firming up my recollections

To the point of the post then: during the 1950s we lived for a few years in Carnoustie home of the famous golf course and I have a few memories of the railways to the West of the station.

To the best of my recollections among the lineside industries were engineering, chemical factories and a jute mill all served by sidings parallel to the main line and, I think, fitted with a multiplicity of wagon turntables and at least one set of sidings shunted by a tractor fitted with a buffer beam and three link couplings.

I have a clear recollection of a BR engine running through the buffer stops through a wall and into the road adjacent to the level crossing.

That's about it folks if I remember more I will add to the post.

regards Geoff

Hi,

You can refresh your memories of the track layout / factories etc.with the 25 inches to the mile ordnance survey maps. These can be accessed online at the National Library of Scotland site.

best wishes,

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ian, the maps include a great deal of detail and seem to confirm my wagon turntable memory.

I have also found several aerial photographs of the  sites here  http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk

Cheers

G

Sounds like you're remembering the sidings at Panmure, just west of Carnoustie, rather than Carnoustie station itself? There are a couple of photos on the RCAHMS site: a series including an overhead shot and another including the signalbox. By the time I recall the area in the 1970s, the rail connections had gone.

If you have any more memories of workings at Panmure, or of the Carnoustie area, it would be interesting to hear them. Do you remember when the loco-through-the-wall incident was? and was it at Panmure or - more likely from your description - at Carnoustie station itself, overrunning the Down loop?

cheers

Graham

• 1 month later...
Guest Mikado

Sounds like you're remembering the sidings at Panmure, just west of Carnoustie, rather than Carnoustie station itself? There are a couple of photos on the RCAHMS site: a series including an overhead shot and another including the signalbox. By the time I recall the area in the 1970s, the rail connections had gone.

If you have any more memories of workings at Panmure, or of the Carnoustie area, it would be interesting to hear them. Do you remember when the loco-through-the-wall incident was? and was it at Panmure or - more likely from your description - at Carnoustie station itself, overrunning the Down loop?

cheers

Graham

Hi Graham, yes you are correct about the location and I remember the loco through the wall incident as if it were yesterday but I did not realise that it had over run the loop.

I remember that the Anderson-Gryce factory sidings and wagon turntables were worked by tractors with buffer beams

The Jute mill on the other side of the level crossing also had sidings parallel to the main line. 

Archived